Blocking Direct Sunlight With Tint..Possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brodie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 long prop tank that's getting inevitable sunlight. My girlfriend is complaining about never having light in the room. Tank cannot be moved, I have absolutely no space. Is it possible to put some type of tint on the outside of the glass? I've seen the type of tint that's static cling, and I think that may work. Has anyone heard of someone doing this before?

Like I said, I need something that's going to block sunlight, not necessarily look good.

Thanks all.
-Brodie

I suppose that my question would be whether or not the tint would actually prevent the harmful effects of direct sunlight. What in the sunlight actually makes algae grow? The spectrum, UV, etc? What type of static tint would I look for in order to do what I need it to do?

I know this is a bizarre question, but any input is appreciated.

Im not sure whats wrong with daylight.. there are plenty of people that have propogation greenhouses so it cant be all bad..

As far as what effect it will have on the tank I do not know. I`ll leave that to the experts but as far as myself the tank is there for 2 reasons. (1) for the inhabitants and (2) for my enjoyment. Its hard to do the 2nd one with dark tint on the tank. I watch my tank more than I watch TV. Maybe you can come up with another solution so you can enjoy the Show. Good luck

Instead of putting tint on the tank and making it where you can not see it.......I would just move the girlfriend to a different room. :D

Why not put the tint on the window? You can get reflective tint that won't look dark from the inside (it will still let in light) but it will block the UV and the heat. As a side benefit, it will cut down on your electric bill by keeping the house cooler.

i used cellular shades (not the crappy aluminum mini-blinds) to block the direct light in my living room. i had some transom windows that let sunlight shine directly on my tank for a good part of the afternoon. it heated the water several degrees, and the algae was really bad.

the blinds still let in indirect light, so i still have some natural light in the room, but they prevent direct sunlight from hitting the tank. it also keeps the room cooler in the summer.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...ID=ccdjaddgdlilmhjcgelceffdfgidgnk.0&MID=9876

if that link doesnt work, check out the home depot website for "Cellular Shades"

~mike

Back
Top Bottom