Blood Shrimp Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnkristie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a blood shrimp about 2 weeks ago along with a cleaner shrimp. The cleaner shrimp has been out, even eating out of my hand :D, but the blood shrimp is always hiding and never comes out of the rocks. Is that normal for that type of shrimp? I fear it's not getting enough to eat. Does it come out at night to forage?

Yes its pretty normal. They are not as outgoing as the cleaners. There may be exceptions, but we have 2 that stay in the rock about 90% of the time. They will show their faces and come out a little at feeding time.
Give him time, maybe it will change.
I know what you mean with the cleaners, they clean my arm if I'm working in the tank. :)

Fire shrimp are not as social but from what I've heard the more you have the more bold they are and will spend less time hiding.

They scavenge and should get enough. I target feed mine sinking pellets a couple times a week. They take it with gusto!! :)

I have 2 in my 125 reef and they used to hide all the time. Now after 6-8 months they come out and dance around ar feeding time. They go crazy for the brine shrimp. When I feed my anemones I take small pieces of shrimp or scalops and feed my cleaners and blood shrimp. I have 5-6 peppermint who I hardly ever see, At night is when they come out

I tried feeding the blood shrimp by hand tonight and it took a bit of squid from me! I guess it just takes a little time.

Back
Top Bottom