Blue Boxfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nitrate

Aquarium Advice Freak
Since I had to get rid of my filefish I was thinking of possible replacements for my tank. One that I would really like to have is a Blue Boxfish. Does anyone have any first hand experience with these fish? I have done some reading on them and the toxic emmision doesnt scare me since I have had a cowfish for a long time. Which brings up another question, will a cowfish and a Blue boxfish get along?

Any advice would be appreciated

From what I've read releasing toxins most often occurs when 2 or more boxfish are competing for food. I"m not sure if this would hold true if they were two different fish like your case of a box fiah and a cow fish. I work at a fish store and most of the large box fish are rather aggressive.

we keep our cubicus boxfish and cowfish together all the time, of course we always carry the juveniles

we keep our cubicus boxfish and cowfish together all the time, of course we always carry the juveniles

I have always thought that male spotted boxfish is the coolest looking fish out there. I have wanted to have one, and have done alot of research on them. I think you would be fine with your cowfish, since both are relatively passive fish. The problem arrises with things like triggers, puffers, and others that are super aggressive feeders. I have been trying to find one for some time now, and can only either find females, or not very healthy looking specimens. If you do get one I would love to see pics posted.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom