blue carpet anemone troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charliec

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi everybody. it's my first post on this site so take it easy on me.
now for the big question: i purchased a blue carpet anemone about 4 weeks ago along with a black percula clown (not matched). the clown has not gone into the anemone yet as it looks unhealthy. before the lights come on, it looks relatively healthy but as the day goes on, it shrinks and expels its stomach out of its mouth. my water quality is perfect:
salinity: 1.023
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate:0
ph: 8.3
phosphates: 0
calcium: 500
magnesium: 1298
alkalinity: 11.9
there is adequate lighting with 2-96 watt power compacts, one white, one actinic and the chiller keeps the water at 77. the store i purchased it from said it doesn't sound good but has no idea what's wrong and what i can do to help it. please help! thanks

First welcome to Aquarium Advice!!

Second, there is not enough light on that tank for host anemones.

Third, your water isn't quite perfect, your CA and ALK are out of balance, your CA is to high (asking for a precipitation event) and IMO your SG (salinity is measured in ppt) is a little low, also you don't mention a temp, but I see from your listing in your profile that you have a chiller. I am also curious as to how your tank is set up, does the chiller run on a closed loop, or is it pumped sump to tank, or sump to sump, or ...

My first recommendation for keeping anemones would be to double your light. Second would be several water changes to get your balance back in order and increase your SG.

Do you feed the anemone? If so how often, what, and what time of day?

What size is the tank? there is no mention of it also... 192 watts of light would be ok in a 30 gal or a 29, but any higher, and I concur with Kevin...

I don't think the parameters are the cause though... You mentioned blue carpet... I know there are some out there, however, most of them are dyed to sell and they are doomed from the word go..IMO... You have you fed it since you've had it? Carpets have a good appetite and once a week, they would require some meaty treats...Shrimp, Krill, Fish, etc...

Tell us more..

One question, why would you want your tank at 77* when most of what we keep is tropical in nature.. 80* to 84* being the range they should be kept at. Carpet anemones are quite the tropical animal...

What size is the tank? there is no mention of it also... 192 watts of light would be ok in a 30 gal or a 29, but any higher, and I concur with Kevin...

In his profile it says it's a 90g tank.

thanks for the input guys. any advice is greatly appreciated. i have had several anemones in the past that did quit well: my last long tentacle got too big for the tank (17in. diameter) and was returned where purchased along with the sebae clown that inhabited it. the blue carpet is higher in the tank than the long tentacle was, now about half way up. i tried to feed the anemone yesterday as soon as the lights came on cause that's when it looks the healthiest, i gave it a silverside, but it didn't eat it.
the chiller is run sump to sump.
how far outta whack is my tank. i've tried several stores in the area and i've gotten the best advice and tips at the current one who tests my water. what needs to be done next?
ps- the chiller was just purchased last week in anticipation for the metal halide purchase in 2 weeks, couldn't wait to use it. the condition of the anemone hasn't changed since before the chiller, water temp 79-80 and now

Back
Top Bottom