Blue Green Alge Bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmedley2070

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any suggestions on what to do with a blue green alge bloom and what to do to stop another one? :(
My LR look like their covered in rust and so does parts of the DSB. 8O
Help!

any pics..
What kind of water are you using.... ro/di or tap.
A little info about the tank would be helpful, size, skimmer, lights , how old, salt mix. ect.

Sorry :roll:
75 gal sw, 51 lbs LR, 2 penguin 200 power filters, 1 power head, protein skimmer, 100 watt CFL, lights are on for 12 off for 12. using conditioned tap water, 4 inch DSB. Tank has been up and running for two months.
2 yellow tail damsels, 2 clowns, 12 margerete snails, 3 red legged hermit crabs.
Everything was great, temp is 80, nitrates 10, nitrites 0, SG 1.020. I went to the store yesterday and came back 30 minutes later to find this rust colored stuff on two large LR's and on the sand.
Tested the water and the reading were the same.
None of the fish are stressed and they're eating fine. They get fed once a day cause they're small.

Thanks

Pete "the confused"! :)

pmedley2070 said:
using conditioned tap water
Most of your issue is right there. Test your tap and tank water for phorphorus. Red or green slimey algae is a direct result of it. Rusty brown algaes will be from silicates. Both elements quite common to tap water. PO4 often from dried foods as well. Both types of algae also being quite common in newer tanks. Yours being only two months young, it is just beginning the "algae" phase so impure water sources make it much harder to manage.

You will need to address your source water if you want it to be a long term solution. Continued use of tap water will not help the problem.

Cheers
Steve

I guess I'll have to break down and buy an RO unit. Is there anything I can do in the mean time to help with the problem?

Thanks

Pete

See if your LFS will test for PO4 and silicates (tank & tap water) if possible and post back with the results. Don't let them talk you into buying any "remedies" or quick fix's. We'll see if it's worth your time and expense once you have those readings to get anything otherwise. More commonly these issues will clear up on their own once the source causing them is eliminated/reduced. As I said as well, this is a new tank so for the most part a common occurance intitially.

In the interim, all I can suggest is getting water from a local grocers if they have RO/DI. Don't bother if it's RO only, just continue with the tap until you get your own unit but the sooner the better, just be sure it has a DI stage not just RO. Phosphorus and silicates cannot be removed by the RO membrane.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom