Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Try the PWCs, if that doesn't work, try the phosban first. I had a similar problem, I could not keep cyano from coming back (I tried everything), so it was suggested to use the phosban. I love the stuff. I think that chemical kills bacteria (which is what cyano is and ALSO the beneficial bacteria, in your tank), so I would be careful of that.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaK
All of my parameters are good - no doubt b/c the cyano's using everything up.
Ill try the phosban and purigen...didn't think about that. I'm tempted to just buy the chemical remedy at this point, but I'm not sure how well it works for the blue-green stuff. And I have a starfish, and I can't remember if it's safe to use with them.
Just wanted to share that people have had their entire tanks wiped out (everything dead) after using some of these chemicals (chemiclean, red slime remover, etc.). Some, which are very much in the minority, have it actually work. I've been fighting cyanobacteria in my new tank, and after finally increasing flow, vaccuming and doing more frequent water changes, and adding phosban to my filter, it's almost non existent now.

Best of luck.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:03 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
while I understand your thinking..."good" isnt really a useful statement. Can you provide definitive numbers?
Old 05-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I know it's just a band-aid and all of the other issues that go along with it. I'm just so frustrated!!
My last water change was Friday. I scrubbed the rocks(in the tank) and siphoned all that I could out. The next morning it was back almost better than before!
My water is good...I use the same water for everything so I know that's not the issue.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

what you are not understanding is that if there is ANY reading at all of nitrates and phosphates, you can be having that problem. so...unless you see a ZERO reading on a test result, you cannot be sure your water is so good that it cant be contributing to the problem.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree, specific numbers will help us assist you better. I have found it is very hard to find phosphates when cyano is present. I use the seachem test and really didn't get much of a reading. Can you adjust your phs to alleviate the dead spots, or add another ph?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:51 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've had issues with Cyano in the past. When it first came around I used Chemiclean Red Slime Remover and it worked really well. However, after about a 2-3 weeks it would slowly creep back into the tank.

After it came back strong one time I treated it, then about 3-4 days later when i couldn't see anymore, I treated the tank again. I didn't have a single speck of the stuff for about 4 months, until I used Aquatic Gardens Activated Carbon. About two days after using it my tank the Cyano came back, and strong.

The Activated Carbon could be a part of your problem. And I also recommend the Chemiclean treatment as it has been perfectly safe with my tanks and hasn't even stressed the fish.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:01 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

^ Many "cheaper" GAC's can leach PO4. FWIW I've never had an issue w/ Marineland black diamond GAC.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:42 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I DO understand, Hara. I'm not a newbie here! That's why it's frustrating! IMO, the specific numbers arent necessary b/c there is obviously a nitrate or phosphate problem-otherwise there would be no cyano.

I had never heard that about GAC. It's helped me in the past with hair algae so I thought I would put it back in. Interesting...especially b/c I used a cheaper brand.

Currently, I'm keeping my lights off until Friday...then I'm going in there!!
I'll be adding another ph too.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
the specific numbers arent necessary b/c there is obviously a nitrate or phosphate problem-otherwise there would be no cyano.
In that case, you were giving us erroneous information as you said your water chemistry was "GOOD". Until you give us real numbers, we are just speculating. All the numbers are tied together. You may not think it necessary, but it is.

Tags
cyano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com