Blue-Green Cyano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont know my alk but I assume that it's good since my ph remains pretty stable.

I buy tropicmarin pro reef premixed from my LFS. I know it's lazy but w/ the pregnancy it made things easier on me. I was doing my pwc the same day I would buy my water.

Since I started the weekly changed I mix my own w/ instant ocean.

JessicaK said:
I dont know my alk but I assume that it's good since my ph remains pretty stable.

Stable pH only means that your alkalinity is not too low. In reality, it could be sky high. While there always seems to be conflicting information with any hobby, one of the true truths I've found in this one is "don't dose unless you can test for it." API alkalinity tests are pretty cheap, accurate, and seem to be in all the fish shops. It'd probably be a good investment. (And probably a Ca test kit too, if you don't already have one. )

I buy tropicmarin pro reef premixed from my LFS. I know it's lazy but w/ the pregnancy it made things easier on me. I was doing my pwc the same day I would buy my water.

No need to apologize for that. My wife is 7 months pregnant. She gets winded just watching ME do PWCs. I hear ya.

Since I started the weekly changed I mix my own w/ instant ocean.

If I remember correctly, Instant Ocean wasn't one that had cyano issues. I'll see if I can find that thread that linked to some testing that was done. If you're dosing for Ca/Alk, you might try Reef Crystals. It's pretty much the same as Instant Ocean, but has a little higher calcium and alkalinity numbers.

Kurt_Nelson said:
If I remember correctly, Instant Ocean wasn't one that had cyano issues.
FWIW it was one that had algae issues in that recent test.
It's pretty much the same as Instant Ocean, but has a little higher calcium and alkalinity numbers.
The Alk of reef crystals is higher than IO by approx. .5 meg/l.(IO= 3.5, RC's= 4 meg/l w/ RO/DI IME w/ a Seachem test kit- Salifert is more precise/accurate) The CA is about the same- to my surprise. Other elements may be more concentrated though in RC's(ex. Mg, etc).

^ No big deal, there is so much info that is often contradictory. I say FWIW in my previous post b/c I used IO for close to two years and never had any algae issues. I've seen post about nuisance algae by people using just about every brand of salt. Although as of late IO seems to be more prevalent w/ people having algae issues...

I agree Mike and Kurt, I switched from IO to RC and my cyano issues are gone.

Back
Top Bottom