blue hippo quarantine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys i have a 125 reef with my yellow tang royal grama blue damsel and thats all the fish i have, now i am buying a blue hippo tuesday about 2 1/2 inches, I have a spare 55 that is at the moment filthy with a few inches of old stagnet saltwater and sand with worms still living in it odly i also have my sump tank for my 125 which each compartment is about 5 gallons. If i isolate one compartment from water flow put a hob filter from another section and a heater can i use this a a quarantine tank? With about 2 pounds of live rock in with it.

Probaly not unless you can gurantee that the compartment is totally isolated. You will still need to do 2x/DAY or more water changes in that compartment till the HOB starts working. I keep a biowheel from my HOB in my sump so it's ready to go when I buy new fish.

Also, can you do hypsalinity in that compartment should Ich develop?

I think you would be better off with a 10 gallon tank. Go barebottome in eitiher case without the LR.

its a fuge that has no sand or rock in at time, the hob has been running for two years, being a fuge it can be isolated and hypo, i have a 20 gal long as well the hob is a aqua clear 50 i think i will go that route. Should i use old saltwater from 125.

Use fresh sw. There is no benefit in using old water from your DT. The HOB is where all the bacteria are anyway.

30 days is the normal QT period. You can start with a hyposalinity treatment in QT and bring it back up to tank levels when done.

Def use fresh sw mix after letting it aerate for 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom