Blue Hippo Tang -normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevedpepper

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, I recently bought a small hippo tang last week. He has been so skiddish. He literally lodges himself in between the back wall and a rock. Just lies there, out of view. Then when he does come out, he stays in one little area. He also has white coloring and cuts on him from all the scraping he puts himself through against the rock. What the hell is going on?

Usually from stress. Which can be tankmates, size of tank or disease or parasite. I have seen them get in a corner and sleep.

When I say my parameters are perfect, I mean it. My tank is literally the quintessential perfect tank with respect to parameters. I check every three days and scrupulously keep a log. It would be a waste of energy to type out the exact numbers to all of my tests. Trust me when I say you can't get better than my parameters. I have a 135g reef tank. Only have three damsels and three clown fish in it in addition to the tang.... I am just concerned because I obviously don't want him to die because when I feed, I never see him eat. I do supplement with algae strips and algae disks... I don't think there is any disease involved. I just think a tang should be more active than this...

The energy you wasted explain how "perfect" your water is was much more than just saying what they are. Just saying.

Completely incorrect. I would have to drive all the way to my office and open my computer where I keep my log to know the exact numbers. I wouldn't type numbers without knowing them to be exact. Thus, more work would have been involved and saying how perfect my water is was much easier. ;-)

I think what you're missing is the fact that people ask for parameters to help understand your tanks condition sans "its perfect". Somethings not right whether it be an parasite or water quality. You may even find posting pictures of it will yield better results than just "its perfect".

Plus what u say is prefect might be wrong not saying it is or u stupid but u might think 200 ppm calcium the right level ... Never know !

I am thinking it is stress. It could be brought on by several things tank mates, shipping, acclimation, food supply, different in the parameters all the different water it has been in since it has been caught. Your parameters might be perfect but what was the stores. Tangs are a very beautiful fish but at the same time so delicate.

Now I know several people that have tangs swear by garlic guard there is a marine biologist that had a powder brown tang that said tangs are seldom very happy in our tanks and should be left in the ocean. When he had to move to a new job he had to sell his tang he actually interviewed buyers for it. I listened to him give special instructions to the buyer so not to stress out the fish when putting in his tank. Give you an idea how picky he was he even took and tested the guys water for him to make sure it was good enough for the tang. He asked for anyone wanting the tang to send tank history and pictures. He said to give it garlic guard at least once a day soaked in seaweed. He went on to explain not all tangs will eat it but his did. I wonder if the guy has to send weekly pictures to prove how well the tang is doing lol.

Back
Top Bottom