Blue LEDs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Guilefish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can I use one that's just standard blue or does it have to say aquarium moon light? If so whats the difference?

(TBH this is for my fresh water tank because i want to actually see my nocturnal fish, but i figured it was general enough of a question)

Moonlights probably won't b bright enough . You would have to get at actinic bulb. Or buy some blue led strips or led flood light. Strips might work the best

I think the question is really what is he using the blue LED for, if it is moon light, all you need just to use the "moon light" LED for maybe 3 to 6 of them is enough. (3W each)
The moon light usually is using Royal Blue which is about 450nm.
The regular Blue LED is around 480nm to 500nm which is more often using for the regular fixture to provide the most important spectrum for coral. So just having a few of them is not enough for your full tank unless you running other fixture as supplement.

Said its for a freshwater tank to see his nocturnal fish.

Can someone tell me more about actinic bulbs? I already have a fluorescent housing and being able to just buy a bulb would be really sweet.

Go to you lfs. And tell them you want an actinic light for whatever size your lights are. Those being out the color in everything with your daylights

Got the bulb, wicked cool effect, but it didn't induce the desired effect of brining out my nocturnal 2 inch sting ray lookin guy, whose name I really wish I had taken a picture of. I guess he just needs pitch black

Some things will just remain in hiding.. If its o ly been in the tank for a shirt time.. Give it some time. Once it gets more comfortable . It may come out more ..

I have a Marineland double bright LED. I modded it to make 2 circuits so I can have 2 timers independently of each other. The blue LEDs are great. I can see my Lionfish, Eel, and puffer swim around and "hunt."

I hope your right! At least he's been hiding in a crack where I can see him during the day, even if only partially.

Back
Top Bottom