Blue Legged Hermit Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I vac'd my sand since it was what I thought was debris from the live rock. took the live rock out and gave it a scrub with a brush. today I look at my sand bed and its full of crap again. I know 2 little baby clowns are not doing all this. Do blue legged hermits crap alot? I mean ALOT! Everyday the sand bed is full of this "tube" looking brown crap. I see why some people just keep snails!

No, I mean I have hermit crabs and never noticed that...what are your parameters? Are you sure it's not algae or diatoms?

No man. Blue leg hermits don't crap a lot. They'd prob eat the crap lol. But the brown stuff is dude to you vacuuming the sand. You stir it up and there are pockets of gas underneath. You stir up the silicates in the sand which diatoms (brown stuff) eat. That's what you see. You just gotta let it die off. Do normal water changes and it will disappear on it's own.

Do you have snails? I was wondering the same thing I was thinking it was pellet food or something but mine is snail poop. Never seen a crab pooping like i have snails so idk what it looks like to say

Do you have snails? I was wondering the same thing I was thinking it was pellet food or something but mine is snail poop. Never seen a crab pooping like i have snails so idk what it looks like to say

It's not diatoms lol. I have about 10 Astrea snails and about 12 blue legged hermits. And as soon as I vac the sand.... 2 hours later its back!

Attachments

• IMG189.jpg
    IMG189.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 120
Ok after alot of research I think its my Astrae Turbo Snails that are pooping everywhere...

That's definitely snail waste. If that bothers you stay away from the big turbos haha

ChiTownRomeo said:
Ok after alot of research I think its my Astrae Turbo Snails that are pooping everywhere...

It's almost hard to imagine how much actually comes out from the little things huh

It's almost hard to imagine how much actually comes out from the little things huh

Yes!!! I thought it was debris from my live rock lol. I scrubbed the rock only to have the debris come right back lol. Wow they poop ALOT!!

I've never noticed this and I have lots of astrea snails, but I have 2 conchs, so they're probably eating it before I notice. :)

Back
Top Bottom