Blue ribbon eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmartin722

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have any experience with these eels? They are very colorful. I might be interested in trying to get one. I like the zebra as well.

Never kept them, but my lfs has a really nice blue ribbon eel I wanted to get for only $55. Neat looking eel.

I've never seen one locally, but really likes how it looked and price compared to the zebra. About half the price.

A good point. How big is the tank? If it's 55 gallons your best option would be a snowflake moray eel.

And they're not eels that would eat frozen food. They like their food live.

I owned one for about two weeks they are beautiful eels. Unfortunately the eel jumped out of my tank and died, so make sure you have a cover over your tank. They like places to hide as well either lots of rock or some people use PVC pipe buried under the sand. I have heard they can be picky eaters but the one I had was eating frozen krill with no problem. I currently have a snow flake eel and he is a amazing eel too. One thing to caution when owning eels make sure they can't escape your tank I have lost two eels that way.

What's your loc. I have a zebra ell I'd be willing to sell he eats frozen and have never had a problem with him jumping

Thanks for all the info. I'm trying to do all my homework before I decide which route I want to take if I choose to get an eel. My tank is still young. So want to make sure I have everything ready before I get one. I'm in georgia and would be going into 72 gallon tank.

Also something about zebra eels is that they don't eat fish. Only inverts. So they can be kept with very small fish.

Not true for all mine will eat fish I was told this but when I threw 3 tiny damsels in my tank the puffer got one then chased another in the rocks where the eel ate him the third survived and is now about3 inches

He could have been defending his territory when the damsel swam in. If that one is still alive and only 3in than I would say he doesn't eat fish. My 1.5 ft eel can eat 4"+ shrimp.

My lfs had told me zebra were fish safe. Unless one was to swim in its cave. Thanks why I was heavily considering it. Didn't know if the ribbon would or not.

Possibly but jus saying will eat fish they are probability opportunistic but I guess I would have to agree and sry I'm in Philly so can't help ya

Back
Top Bottom