BLue Sponge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just purchase 1. Got a little info fm my LFS. Understand it is photosynthetic, requiring the same lighting as my SPS corals also moderate water flow as this is a filter feeder that won't tolerate algae or.being exposed to air. Can anyone offer conflicting or additional advice. I don't have fish, so it won't b picked on. I do have a couple Emerald Crabs that I will keep a close eye on. This is a 30gal. coral tank with a CUC of mostly snails. I always check with AA which never lets me down when it comes to valuable advice. Thanks

I always thought sponges were low to no light. I've got pink, yellow, and white growing on the under side of rocks and colonies. Other types of sponge may require light though, like ball or vase sponges, not sure.
Definitely no algae or Air, and moderate to high flow, that I know. Hope this helps!

Some sponges depending on the species are indeed photo .....I have a Orange tree sponge been in my tank for 6 months under low light and mod flow I Target feed it phyto and cyclopeeze

You need to watch out for blue sponges. They can release toxins into the water if the water chemistry doesn't add up.

Most sponges are nonphotosynthetic, but there are a few species that so indeed need light. I *think* the blue sponge is a photosynthetic species.

No. No sponges are truly photosynthetic. Some have a symbiotic relationship with other photosynthetic organisms, like cyanobacteria, but I don't believe any of them make their way to your LFS.

Not to be a PITA, but isn't that a bit like saying there are no photosynthetic corals? If an animal needs light for a symbiotic organism (zooanthellae, cyanobacteria, etc) to produce food that it shares, doesn't that count? You are right about photosynthetic sponges in an LFS, though. I've only ever seen them on a very few websites, and usually at a high price.

The ones that use cyanobacteria for extra food are very ugly. That's the main reason they aren't for sale.
I guess you could say that, but from what i've read, the cyanobacteria is just a supplemental food source, and not a primary one. kind of like anemones and meaty foods.

While I can't find any detailed information on whether or not the blue sponge (Haliclona spp.) does indeed have a photosynthetic symbiotic relationship, the few places I can find it do list it as requiring light.
True about a supplemental food source. No matter what symbiosis may be present, sponges are first and foremost, filter feeders.
Semi-unrelated: If anyone has one that is getting too big and feels like tearing off a chunk, let me know!

Great thread! Very informative! I agree with the last statement, I've. Even looking for blue sponge(any form) for years

Thanks for all the info. I will absorb all this when I get a chance. I do know it grew under MH's. I have a sponge that came with a rock of Zoas. Nothing hurts this sponge, not that I care. I think this Blue 1 is beautiful and would like to keep it around

All the feedback is really interesting. Very different points of view. At the moment I will continue with the lighting recommended by both the original owner as well as the LFS who was the go between for this sponge. It wasn't cheap but added yet another splash of color to my tank. When I do feed it, along with my sps corals, I turn off the skimmer as well as my filtration pump and just let my PH move both the Cyclopleez and, or oyster feast around the tank for the night. Thanks again everyone. I'll let u know if it doesnt thrive under the current conditions

All I know for sure is my Orange ones doing great a Target feed it every other day because most sponges starve in the tanks we use so besure to feed it and it will do fine

bskerrichard27 said:
All I know for sure is my Orange ones doing great a Target feed it every other day because most sponges starve in the tanks we use so besure to feed it and it will do fine

I have an Orange 1 about the size of a softball and a lil blue one. I just have them laying in the sand bed. I don't Target feed them. I shoot photo-feed in the circulation pump. I've had the Orange 1 about a year now and the blue 1 for about 6 months. Here r the pics

ForumRunner_20120313_232823.jpg

ForumRunner_20120313_232939.jpg

Crabs, can you post a picture of your sponge? I just picked up a wicked cool piece of rock from the LFS. Covered in tiny featherdusters, what looks like a mussel, and I *think* a very young blue sponge. I'd like to compare it with your sponge. Here's my new rock.
38183-albums8978-picture34695.jpg

Well, here's an unflattering picture of mine. Between my phone camera and the algae bloom I'm dealing with on my substrate. Definitely not a "Kodak Moment". What u have looks like a sponge. It's real pretty, whatever it is.

Attachments

• image-411393864.jpg
    image-411393864.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 88
Kbeezy83's sponges look great. I think the blue 1 with the Zoas would look really nice in my aquarium :)

Back
Top Bottom