Blue Sponge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Accidentally exposed my sponge to air momentarily. Anyone have any idea on how quickly they succumb after this happens? Do they just bleach out? Is it possible that it isn't doomed? Just curious. I paid too much for it to pull a bonehead move like I did

U will probably be alright. Some die some dont.

Thanks. Just hearing that it can possibly b alright is at least encouraging

The trouble comes from air getting trapped in the sponge's cellular matrix, which prevents it from pumping water through, and it starves. But the damage usually starts in one place (point of air entry) and spreads. If you keep a very close eye on it and see signs of any damage, cut that part out with a razor blade. Sponges are resilient to cuts, but not to air. If you are able to remove all affected tissue, it should be just fine.
Of course, this is all assuming air got in anyway. If it didn't then it's all good!

Thanks for ur interest. I don't c any real problem other than the fact I found a Nudibranch that may have been munching on it. Its not dissolving but doesn't seem as full as when I first got it. Maybe my sponge keeping won't b a success. I'm still holding onto hope. They look awesome

I had a sponge that just disintegrated for no reason it seemed. It was some purple encristing sponge.

Disintegrated over what period of time? Quickly, or did it take awhile?

Medium one day I noticed it the next week or twoit was half gone. It had some unidentified things in it I thought maybe the hydriods or whatever so I killed cut a goof piece off and killed the rest of it. Frag didn't survive

And I'm not certain of the optimum position in my tank. I know it's not good to move it around and there r so much conflicting info. on the correct lighting. It's a crap shoot

Back
Top Bottom