Blue spotted Jawfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndiH011

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

A quick question, why is the blue spotted Jawfish so so expensive in the UK??? And very hard to get hold of without sounding like I've answered my own question

What a fish!! I want one but don't think the wife will let me take out a small loan for a fish

Andi

Convict2161 said:
How much are they there? Got mine for 80 which was still a lot IMO.

Wow nice pics. Beautiful fish and full of character from the ones I have seen.

They are £130 or there abouts and V Rare I can't find one anywhere apart from the LFS that has one for 130.

AndiH011 said:
Wow nice pics. Beautiful fish and full of character from the ones I have seen.

They are £130 or there abouts and V Rare I can't find one anywhere apart from the LFS that has one for 130.

Wow that's a lot of money. Maybe try and strike a deal of the fish is sitting there too long? I know some LFS around me if things sit too long the price goes down so they move it to get more stock in. A shot in the dark but ya got nothing to lose.

Convict2161 said:
Wow that's a lot of money. Maybe try and strike a deal of the fish is sitting there too long? I know some LFS around me if things sit too long the price goes down so they move it to get more stock in. A shot in the dark but ya got nothing to lose.

Good thinking ;-).

I'll try the weekend and prob give him an offer. I have 3 very boisterous Chromis will the blue spot hold his own?

Serious???

They're pretty passive fish. Any aggression in the tank, and he won't come out to eat. He'll stay in his burrow until someone attacks him or he starves. Calm tank mates are best, and it's recommended that the jawfish be added first to the tank to establish territory.

herp_mommy said:
They're pretty passive fish. Any aggression in the tank, and he won't come out to eat. He'll stay in his burrow until someone attacks him or he starves. Calm tank mates are best, and it's recommended that the jawfish be added first to the tank to establish territory.

Agreed. I added mine last BUT I have been feeding more often or I feed more at feeding time to make sure Oscar gets his food. He darts out of his burrow and eats well. I have clown fish and cardinals with a orange spotted goby. Oscar seems to be doing well.

I have read that they are semi aggressive and territorial so thought they could hold their own.

I need to get rid of these Chromis!!

Never knew you had one con.

Starve? Maybe.,but why not just squirt some frozen into his hole during feeding time? I dont think that'd be too hard...especially for a $100+ dollar fish! Lol.

I want one but neer could. My big Engineer wouldnt let it live

I target feed mine. He stays in his burrow and nobody bothers him. Lion fish stalks him but never does anything. Only thing is when I move livestock around he acts like he wants to jump.

Gboy66 said:
Never knew you had one con.

Starve? Maybe.,but why not just squirt some frozen into his hole during feeding time? I dont think that'd be too hard...especially for a $100+ dollar fish! Lol.

I want one but neer could. My big Engineer wouldnt let it live

Yeah just got him a few days back, figured why not.

Convict2161 said:
Yeah just got him a few days back, figured why not.

Haha wish i could purchase fish on a whim! Cool addition. Hopefully you dont have badluck with this one,,like the blue head and jumpers:/

Gboy66 said:
Haha wish i could purchase fish on a whim! Cool addition. Hopefully you dont have badluck with this one,,like the blue head and jumpers:/

Yea me too! Cross your fingers.

DWilliams said:
My blue spot jaw, got him for $45. My favorite fish to watch.

$45 is a great deal. They're $100 around here. :( They are really pretty though.

DWilliams said:
My blue spot jaw, got him for $45. My favorite fish to watch.

45!!! I've been doing more looking at online retailers (not that I have bought online before) and the cheapest I have found is £180 that's $284.14!!!!!!!!!!! :-(

They go for $40 - $80 where I'm at. I have seen a couple for around $120 tho. Depends on what lfs I go into.

Back
Top Bottom