Blue spotted jawfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aneata

Aquarium Advice Regular
Considering getting one of these little guys but have read few concerning things. Does anyone have experience with them?

I have a glass top with all holes covered so jumping won't be an issue. I am mostly worried about temperature. (I keep mine at 78) At my LFS they are in the general salt water section with other tropical fish however I keep reading that they are cooler water fish. I don't want to kill/cook the poor guy.

Also is a deep sand bed a mandatory requirement? I have red mixed stories. My sand bed rangers from 2- 4 inches, is mostly fine sand but has some crushed coral and lots of small shells and LR pieces to build his home.

Tank:
75 gallon no corals (yet..)
Fuvel canister filter (looking into sumps)
HOB skimmer
2 fire fish
2 cardinals
3 azure damsels
1 brittle starfish
1 long spine urchin
Several hermits/snails

78 is fine. If you have a HOB skimmer and pipes are going into the water, chances are, there's enough room for it to escape. They look for the holes and see them as well as you do. What color is the brittle star? Hopefully not green.

Just be aware they can get up to 12 inches (blue spotted jaw fish)

saw one today at local pet store

very nice looking fish just a tad above my price range though he was $160.

and 10 inch in size eating deli shrimp whole

12 inches? Are you sure? I don't remember seeing that anywhere. I was under the assumption they didn't grow much over 4.

I forgot to mention I have a few shrimp ( 2 blood shrimp and 1 cleaner). I wouldn't want him eating any of those.

Also in preparation for this little guy I cut out plastic pieces to go around all the pipes going the water so holes are down to millimeters if that.

Yes the sucker I saw today was 10+inch eating whole deli shrimp

If I get out that way again tomorrow I'll stop back in snap a pict

12 inches? Are you sure? I don't remember seeing that anywhere. I was under the assumption they didn't grow much over 4.

I forgot to mention I have a few shrimp ( 2 blood shrimp and 1 cleaner). I wouldn't want him eating any of those.

Also in preparation for this little guy I cut out plastic pieces to go around all the pipes going the water so holes are down to millimeters if that.

everywhere I seen them listed online says max growth 4 inch too so your not alone
I was like:eek: uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh when I saw him

wife has a dr appt this afternoon so will stop in and get pict

Well I got him. He's constructed a mini mansion for himself under my LR with 4 entrances all of which he guards all day long. He's eating really well. Only took him a day to get over being shy.

Definitely worth the money. Most entertaining fish I've seen. Gets upset when the hermits get too close and spits sand until they leave.

The shape of the jawfish's eyes make him look mad all the time. He's like my little guard dog for my tank.

Well I got him. He's constructed a mini mansion for himself under my LR with 4 entrances all of which he guards all day long. He's eating really well. Only took him a day to get over being shy.

Definitely worth the money. Most entertaining fish I've seen. Gets upset when the hermits get too close and spits sand until they leave.

The shape of the jawfish's eyes make him look mad all the time. He's like my little guard dog for my tank.

Any pictures...?

They are awesome fish. I have a yellow head jawfish and he has about 4 different spots that he made burrows Lol and you're right, they do look angry all the time lol

Just waiting for the lights to come on so I can take some pics. Weekends are the worst having to wait for the lights... Lights are on 12pm-10pm so we can enjoy it after work.

Back
Top Bottom