Blue Starfish...good or not????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heavyhootz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was thinking of buying a blue starfish for my reef tank...45 gal hex, 35lbs. of live figi, 2 featherdusters, hermits, snails, yellow eye tang, blood shrimp, flaming scallop, some soft coral, and a xenia.
Will the blue starfish get along with everything in my tank???

Blue Linkias are beautiful additions to the tank and are harmless detrivores... They are however, very hard to acclimate and need special attention when getting them used to their noew home from what I read.... I never had one, but pass on the word from others...

If your talking about a blue linkia. No...they are very docile and do fine with inverts. I have had mine about a year and I hardly ever see it move, much less attack something.

Heavyhootz said:
yet everything i have read states otherwise...wierd. :mrgreen:

Not saying your wrong but do you happen to have any links on this? I've never heard that blue linkia's eat those kinds of food. I know some of the chocolate chip type star fish will eat krill and other inverts they can catch such as snails. I have a big orange general star that will eat my snails when he can.

From what I've gathered before I bought one it is recommended to have at least 100lbs or LR and a mature tank. Even then these starfish are very sensitive to change in water conditions during acclimation. When I got mine I drip acclimated him for around 8 hours and he still melted in less than a week leaving me to belive he wasn't acclimated properly from where I purchased him from.

Back
Top Bottom