Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yea I definitely don't plan on buy any other fish anytime soon I'm afraid of them dying , I felt so bad for the fish when it died

Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

This may be an odd set of questions, but in your profile, it says you started a saltwater tank in December. When did you start it exactly? How did you cycle it? When did the cycle finish? When did you add each fish?

I'm wondering if something was off like adding the Sailfin prior to the tank cycling fully. High levels of ammonia or nitrites could have done damage? It should have taken at least 4-6 weeks to cycle, so we've got a few fish added in a short amount of time? Just thinking out loud here...

Old 01-31-2013, 12:44 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I started my tank the first week of December don't know the exact date & I actually didn't buy any fish my sister in law bought the fish & the guy told her it was okay to add all 4 to the tank (she bought the fish this past Saturday) , I personally thought he was wrong but then again he is supposed to be the fish expert so I just let them do what they wanted , my fiancé does everything to the tank I just give advice from things I read up on... Reading on here has helped alot I read from a couple other threads to add one fish at a time so that's what we were going to do till my sister in law showed up with 3 fish and my daughters wanted them....
Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm trying my best to do this correctly I don't want anymore fish as of right now or anytime soon , there's still so much that I'm learning I need to buy , and I felt rushed when we put the fish in the tank .
Old 01-31-2013, 01:09 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Slow and steady is the way to go with saltwater. You've got to allow enough time for your beneficial bacteria to be at a proper level for the amount of fish waste. You can probably get away with two smaller fish from time to time and one or two a month is probably a good general rule to follow.

It's good to hear that you sound like you are on the right track with taking a break and reading more. You can always ask questions here. Lots of good people with a lot of experience.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unfortunately, there is no hard and fast rule as to how many fish can be put into a tank at one time. Is puting 4 fish the size of say, an adult queen angel the same as putting 4 Royal Grammas into a tank? The answer should be NO. The only real answer however, is given by an ammonia test. If the ammonia doesn't rise, it was okay, if it does rise, you could be doing a "mini cycle". (Potentailly not a problem.) If it continues to rise, you've overloaded the system....time for a water change.
Too much attention is being paid towards the timing when it should be directed to the establishment of the biological filter. You can have a brand new set up that was seeded with established biological so the fact that the tank is a week old is meaningless.
You have to remember that you are creating an ecological system. Like any system, small changes shouldn't effect it in a drastic way. Big changes can create chaos.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well when we added the fish nothing changed ammonia didn't even rise at all ...everything is still good right now ... Hopefully the 3 I have left will survive ! Thanks for the help appreciate it
Old 01-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soto413 View Post
Well when we added the fish nothing changed ammonia didn't even rise at all ...everything is still good right now ... Hopefully the 3 I have left will survive ! Thanks for the help appreciate it

Great, but here's some things to consider:
In a brand new, uncycled, unseeded, just added first fish tank, it usually takes about 7 days for the ammonia to reach a readable amount on most test kits.

What I would do, is to keep testing ammonia daily to make sure it does not rise. If it should rise, either seed the tank from an established tank or purchase a nitrifying bacteria culture at your local store ( not online cause by then time will be of the essence) to ensure that the ammonia level does reach toxic levels. If it should reach toxic levels, be prepared to do major water changes until you get your beneficials established .

The good news is that right now, things are fine. The bad news is that you are
not out of the woods just yet.
Hope it all works out.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks I will definitely test the water as soon as I get home , I'm in a class lecture right now my fiancé does water changes on Friday so tomorrow will be another water change

Tags
blue, blue tang, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com