Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Blue tang

I finally bought a fish , I bought a Blue Tang because my daughters wanted "dory" anyways since I added him to the tank he has done nothing but hide , he squeezes between rocks looking like he is dead or stuck , it's has been driving me crazy just want to know if this is normal.... I use to have a little fake house that looked like coral and he wouldn't come out of it at all not even to eat so I took it out and now he squeezes between the rock

In the tank I also have :
Clown fish
Sailfin tang
Goby filefish

Old 01-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

How many days has it been? I
have heard of some doing that. Mine didn't act that way but about after a week, succumbed to ick. I have heard that these can be an easily stressed fish and develop ick. I've known people that have had them for years without issue" I wish I knew the secret. All of my other fish are fine. All parameters normal.
If it only has been a short period of time, don't worry too much. If it has been days, it could be cause for concern.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

New fish can do that sometimes. My worry would be long term if it makes it through the introduction. You have two Tangs in a 55g tank when they should be in closer to a 180g. Stressed Tangs have lower immunity to things like Ich. They also can be territorial, and that tank will not leave everyone much room for territory, which can lead to stress and/or aggression.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Blue tangs are strange fish an "dory" depicts one perfectly. Hey are crazy. They will hide sometimes and then they will swim all over other times. Mine was like that too and it still does it when the lights are off. Just give it a couple of days. Mine i think also has ick. I hope this helped
Old 01-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

My blue tang has been doing much better after about 2 days she has been non stop swimming around she still hides when the lights are off but they all hide when lights are off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3805887736.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	148629  
Old 01-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hippo Tangs definitely like to hide in the wierdest places. I actually saw one once within the tenticles of a Haitian Pink Tip Anemone. It was not being eaten by the anemone either. It willingly swam in to and out of the anemone. (The fish was a small juv. about 1 1/2" long.) Go figure. lol The ability to hide in small places tho is a natural thing as I have seen on film a school of Juv. Blue tangs hide within a piece of Brownstem coral when a larger grouper was swimming nearby. So your fish's reaction is not abnormal (Unlike Dory. lol A cute quirk for the movie but a little overboard. )
My only concern would be the other 2 Tangs. They might cause a problem depending on their sizes.
Also, Ick, while a parasite/ disease, is not really the problem. Ick is a sign of the fish being under stress. If your fish have Ick, it's a sign you need to be checking water parameters, temp fluctuations and in regards to new fish, your acclimating procedures. Something caused a stress and the Ick parasite usually only effects the fish when it's under stress.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Hippo Tangs definitely like to hide in the wierdest places...

Also, Ick, while a parasite/ disease, is not really the problem. Ick is a sign of the fish being under stress. If your fish have Ick, it's a sign you need to be checking water parameters, temp fluctuations and in regards to new fish, your acclimating procedures. Something caused a stress and the Ick parasite usually only effects the fish when it's under stress.

Hope this helps.
Agreed. Be aware that stress can come from fish being aggressive and/or territorial too. Odds are good that's gonna happen eventually with two larger tangs in a 55g tank. Something like a single Kole or Tomini tang would probably work, as the general consensus is that they don't need a six foot tank to thrive. They aren't Dory, but they have personality and they have a much better chance of not causing future problems.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

My sailfin tang passed away yesterday , there is nothing wrong with my tank we tested it everything was perfect we even went to our fish store and our water was fine , my sister in law bought the sailfin tang from another fish store I don't go to , we think the fish was sick before she bought it , all my other fun seem fine & are always swimming around more now ... Thanks for the advice
Old 01-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry meant Fish
Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
If that's the case I would hold off on any more fish until you see if that alleged disease was contagious. Give it a few weeks at least.

Tags
blue, blue tang, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com