Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-12-2005, 08:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Blue Tang question

My Blue Tang appears healthy, is not "itching", does not have the white flecks which signify ich, eats heartily, and swims normally. I have had him for about 3 months, and he recently started to lose some of the color in spots around his face. The spots are not white, they just appear to be clear. What is the cause of this and how do I correct it?

Thanks in advance.

There is a thin line between a hobby and mental illness.
edison9114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via MSN to Pghjeff71 Send a message via Yahoo to Pghjeff71
Hi, I'm sure people will ask the typical water chemistry questions to you, but from my experiences tangs need a large amount of vegetable matter in their diet. Do you have a clip that you attach nori, or "dried seaweed" for your tang to nibble on throughout the course of the day? Not getting enough vegetable matter can lead to Head and Lateral Line Erosion which could almost fit the bill here. It is usually caused from poor diet and water quality.

Tangs are "grazers" and need to eat throughout the day.

- Jeff

Pghjeff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
is your tang a powder blue?, I read they change color, even some times look pale depending on there mood
EXVISOR13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
Blue Tangs differ in colour during the day.. ime my blue tang seems very blotchy during the day with a pale blue and at night he's dark blue returns..
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to pufferman
For me it is the other way around. My tang has a deep blue color in the day and at night he assumes a pale, light blue color that i think is to blend more with the water. I agree that the clear blotches are the beginning of HLLE and that you need to provide pristine conditions for the tang. I get this by Chemi-Pure by boyd enterprises. Works like a miracle. If you want to see pics, http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...245&highlight=
30 gallon SW tank;EHEIM ECCO 2235 Canister Filter w/Miracle-Working Chemi-Pure
TetraTec UV1 UV Sterilizer;Rio 50 Powerhead ;130w PC lighting;33 Lbs. of Tonga Branch LR;Nature's Ocean Live Sand (the bagged stuff)
Livestock:2-Ocellaris Clownfish;9-Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs;1-Regal Tang;Zoanthids, Pineapple Brain coral, Sebae Anemone, Colt Coral, Galaxea
Tank Specs as of December 29, 2005:Ammonia:0;Nitrite: 0;Nitrate=0;Cu:0
PH: 8.3
SG: 1.028;Temp: 79-84 degrees F (Adjusts throughout the day)
pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote

blue tang, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com