Blue Throat Trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would one of these be okay in my reef tank? From what I understand they are pretty mellow and reef safe, is that correct? I currently have a Scopas Tang, Blue Hippo Tang, 2 Flasher Wrasses and a Lawnmower Blenny.

Just wondering, thanks.

Definitely the most tame/mellow trigger i've ever owned..I think it would be ok ,,not 100% sure about inverts though..I don't have any so i can't really say..Just remember in the end,its still a trigger

I see books all the time that show triggers in a reef tank. It doesn't make much sense to me as they are predators. I love the fish, but don't think I would trust one in my reef. IMO

If I didn't purchase any shrimp/snails etc. for this tank do you think he would be alright? Thanks both of you!

Just keep in mind that triggers do like to nibble on live rock and can make a mess..I had a mellow trigger that never bothered anything else in my tank. I would say no if you have inverts in there as they can be unpredictable..

Mike

I wouldn't trust one if I was going to have much coral or other inverts. He would almost certainly eat any shrimp you might add. They are a great fish to have in a fish only system.

I agree that triggers of any kind and inverts are a bad idea ..I think a BT will be fine in a tank with corals..All fish do a little picking and pecking at LR..Triggers just have teeth so may accidentally clip something..

I agree that triggers of any kind and inverts are a bad idea ..I think a BT will be fine in a tank with corals..All fish do a little picking and pecking at LR..Triggers just have teeth so may accidentally clip something..

If he does some picking at the coral it will be like natural fragging, lol.

Well, lots to think about! Thanks everyone!

I use to have a trigger tank, had several in there together. I would throw them a piece of crab, shell and all and you could hear the cracking all over the house as they demolished the shell. Can't imagine that crew in my reef tank!

I feed mine hermits and snails :)...
I just don't think they would totally demolish or even cause major issues like an angle or butterfly would..minor nips here and there would be my guess..
Like you said ,,tons of people have BT's in full reefs ,inverts and all..
I say get it,,they are a good peaceful trigger to keep

Keep us posted if you do it. I would be curious how it works out for you. I trust my dwarf angles far more than I would a trigger fish.

Would they be okay in a 20g QT? Are they pretty hardy too? I just set up the qt today, but I put in sand and filter media. Thanks.

IMO/IME a 20 QT will be fine ..I QTed mine in a 20 ,i QT all my fish in it..

I think he is on the list for the 125g. :) They had about four at the LFS and they were on sale too. Didn't get one though...

Can I get a female to go with him?

Back
Top Bottom