Blue Zoa's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

juice28

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was in my LFS a few days ago and snagged a tiny frag(about 7 polyps) of these blue zoa's Ive seen them online and they always pack a hefty price so for 8 bucks I considered it a steal lol. I am wondering though, is there any specific care for them? I hae bee nreading and so far its either trat them like regular zoa's, good lighting, hoderate to semi high flow or the complete opposite so Im still not sure where exactly to place them in my tank. They are currently on a rock in the upper part of my tank and fully open...they seem to be doing well any zoa advice from the greats?

Not great and very little advice, but I'll try anyways. ;)

If they are Tubbs Blues which are the most popular, the standard advice I've read is that they are slow growers and prefer shaded (of course depends on your lighting) conditions. They could be anyother type of cool expensive zoa too though. They seem to be more and more prevalent. So the general advice I'd give is to make them happy. If they close up in their current location, try somewhere with more or less light, more or less flow, etc. until you find the spot they like the most. Good luck with them, I'm sure they're beautiful! :)

thanks, I have no idea what kind they are, soon as I get my camera back ill post a couple pics but thanks for the advice..where they are they tend to open and close often, I have been moving them around a bit to find that "right" spot, not sure if me moving them has them closing up

Moving them will probably upset them for a bit. If they open up, I'd let them be for at least a couple days and observe them.

Do they look like these?

img_996474_0_75efaae56a7c51e6ca31ca864713a67d.jpg

Educate us all. Even if they aren't the exact ones, I'm sure everyone would like to know how you care for them and any info about them. I know I would. :)

These are African Blues or Blue Hornets, or Deep Water Blues there are so many different type of names for these but, I haven't have the slightest clue. But anyhow they do well under temperatures between 75-78 degrees anything above that they can start to melt on you. I made a mistake a few weeks agao when it all of a sudden got hot over here and my temps went up to 82 degrees they were closed up and were not happy I actually had to put an Ice pack in my Tank to get it to cool the temperature down a little. but once the temps got back down they opened up right away.

I just want to say I don't have all the facts on these because there are a lot of other reefers out there that are not having the best of luck with them. I know a lot of Folks are keeping these under High Lighting and some are slighting shading them. Also I would keep them between medium to high flow. Since these seem to be happy with the current and flow.

I also believe if you move them around every few days just to get an idea what spots make them open up and which spots don't. That's pretty much all the info I have right now on the these blue zoa's.. HTH.. (y)

Reactions: HN1
Great info. You should post more often! :) I know first hand that some very experienced and knowledgable folks have trouble with them. Your's are among the healthiest I've seen.

I have learn a lot from here I was a newbie about a year ago this time around where I knew squat... Just ask some of the older guys that are still here.. :)

I have learn a lot from here I was a newbie about a year ago this time around where I knew squat... Just ask some of the older guys that are still here.. :)

We're all newbies at some time or place. Real world info and the posting of experience is what makes it easier on those of us who may be newer. ;)

thanks, naa they dont look like that..the center is more of a grey, they do not show in the actinic lights...i moved them to a lower part of my tank, less light and they seem to be happy there. they also seemed to be less blue before I moved them also, they are very small so im trying to snag a picture that is actually good

Back
Top Bottom