Bluespotted and dusky jawfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jace_242

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've had a Blue spotted Jawfish in my tank for nearly a year now and he is by far my favorite fish, Jawfish just seem to have so much personality. He's finally gotten to the point that he'll leave his burrow for hours on end and explore the whole tank, probably because he's collected all of the rubble in the tank to wall his burrow and wants more.

I saw a Dusky Jawfish at my LFS this morning and I had to fight the urge to get him. I've read that multiple dusky jawfish can be kept in a tank if there is enough room but blue spotted jawfish can be hostile towards their own species although I've talked to people that have kept multiple blue spots without a problem.

What do you think the chances are that if I introduced the dusky jawfish to the tank the two would be able to coexist?

I cant give you an experience jawfish answer as I`ve never had one but with all fish they seem to fight more with similar body shapes and colors. I`m not familar with these jawfish but are they similar or not. Sorry I cant help much.

Well I decided to take a chance and gave it a try since I have a smaller tank I could put the dusky jawfish in if things got hairy. It's been about two weeks now and so far they haven't as much as opened their jaws at each other. The dusky jawfish decided to make his burrow on the next rock over from the blue spots. Their burrows are about four inches away from each other and they just completely ignore each other, at one point when the dusky was trying to find a good place to start digging he tried the mushroom rock right next to the other jawfish burrow, once he dug out under that they were both sticking out of their burrows looking at each other with just about an inch between them and neither seemed to care, but they both just hate that yellow tang.

But anywho, if anyone ever thinks about trying that combination thus far it seems to be working for me.

Back
Top Bottom