Boiling/Freezing live rock for getting rid of mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith A.

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been trying to control my mushroom corals for a very long time now and have learned some pretty "brutal" ways in trying to control or if needed, kill them. I was at my LFS yesterday talking to one of the employees there and theny mentioned that I could either put the rock with the mushrooms in boiling water for a few minutes or freeze it overnight to killl them. Of course I would be killing everything else on the rock (bacteria, coraline, etc.). Has anyone tried this for other reasons (maybe algae control)? If so, how well did it work? Did it discolor (bleach out) the rock afterwards?

Thanks,
Keith

Have you ever tried to sell some of the mushrooms to your LFS. I do it all the time and get good money for them. There`s alot of people out there that want mushrooms.

These must be some ugos or something? I dont know why anyone would intentionally kill mushrooms. I would really try to sell them. Youll get money for them, or a nice trade im sure. Now, I could understand if you were talking about xenias. ;-)
What kind of mushrooms are these?
Matt

They are the frilly mushrooms. I'm looking for more spot control more than anything. I want to try to keep the mushrooms on one half of the rock scaping and to other corals on the other half. I'm looking to get rid of the one or two stray mushrooms that are growing where the other corals are at. The other corals (not the mushrooms) are still on their fragment rocks or plugs so they haven't attached to the bigger rocks that the stray mushrooms are on yet. I can remove the fragment rocks easily. Hopefully the pic give a better idea. The mushrooms are on the left side of the tank.

I know at my LFS that big rock with the mushrooms would sell for 90 dollars. You might get 50-60 dollars for it. That would be enough to replace the rock and make a little profit.

Back
Top Bottom