Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Boiling Rocks

I am looking to buy a new tank and would like to use existing rock from an arleady established tank. However I do not like some of the aiptasia growth and on a few rocks that I am unable to keep up with. Im interested in how boiling the rocks in water works. If I boil the rocks how long before I would be able to place them in the new tank? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

warvillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Have you tried aptasia x? Stuff works very well.

Although I'm sure boiling would kill them and everything else on the rock. Just hate the thought of killing a perfectly good rock because of a few pain in the butt glass anenome's! Try the aptasia x first.....I'm sure you'll be happy as it kills them in about 10 secs.

Good luck

Tmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had good luck killing them with boiling water and a turkey baster. Leave the rock submerged and spot treat vs killing the whole rock.
indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Not to sure but I heard boiling rock is a bad thing like rocks will explode or something . Anyone heard this or am I crazy?
55G-Malawi setup
2 20G long-community (planted)
5G and 10g-Fry
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
That's ridiculous.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
What's the point in boiling the rock!? The bacteria on the rock are not extrmophiles and will also die! Along with anything else that is on the rock.
Greenpillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Just gotta throw my experience in with this. I had a complete infestation of aipastia, there was a field in my sand and all over every rock. I figured like you that i could get rid of them with boiling water. So, I poured boiling water over them in a bucket, let that sit for a week almost. THEN i took the rocks out and sat them in a freshwater bucket for almost a week outside. After that I put the rocks on the driveway and let the sun bake them for a few days.

Now after all that it appeared they were gone. But lo and behold about 3 weeks later I had more of them. LOL Not sure how long they can survive.

What I ended up doing and what I DO NOT recommend was to nuke my tank with ammonia. I put in a cup or two of pure Ace ammonia and within 2 days all the aipastias were gone. Since I had them in my filter too this got rid of them as well. Drastic measure I know but it worked. Keep in mind I had no live stock in the tank other than a few snails which I pulled out before the ammonia went in.

180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote

boiling, oil, rock, rocks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com