Bombing for cockroaches...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well we have no choice but to bomb for roaches (the entire apt. complex is doing it) and my blazey (cockatiel) is going to a friends, and the cat is getting out of the house for the day... but the fish...? by the way they are bombing today :evil:
the only thing I could do was shut off the oxygen going into the tank (filter, skimmer) and just let the power head run at the top of the tank so the water doesn't get stagnant...then I covered the top of the tank with a black garbage back and tapped it on... my question is..will the fish be ok for about 3 days (today, Tuesday, and until wednesday night) with no food, oxygen, cleaning? I sure hope so? if not please respond and I will try to fix it but their is not much else I can do on such short notice...

The fish may be OK without a filter for three days, but without oxygen, they can die. It depends on their size to the amount of water plus whatever else that utilizes oxygen. If this is the 29 fowlr mentioned in your sig, why not just move it? Put the water in a bucket, place the fish in the bucket, put the sand and any live rock in a bucket...move the tank and reset. Save and reuse as much of the tank water as possible.

Your best bet otherwise is to keep the oxygen going, shut down everything else...leave the fish in the dark...do not feed...wrap the tank air tight and hope for the best. ANY pesticide that gets in that tank will most likely kill the fish eventually if not immediately.

You didn't seem to plan this one out very well did ya? Good luck. Next time give yourself at least 24 hours to prep your tank and protect your fish.

From what it sounds like you didn't know they were doing it until today. So if I would you I'd go to the property manager and make sure they give you at least a couple days warning before doing it (if they do it another time).

I've seen these tablets that release O2 into the water, but I don't know how good they are or if they could be harmful and besides with a days notice you couldnt get them probably.

I woud just hope for the best and be prepared to do a large water change.

SpydrWorks said:
You didn't seem to plan this one out very well did ya? Good luck. Next time give yourself at least 24 hours to prep your tank and protect your fish.

Pretty harsh. Your new, so you didnt know, but im pretty sure blazy lives with his/her folks and I doubt they gave him/her a heads up.

As for me, I'd try giving the fish to the lfs to hang onto for the bombing, they might be willing to house em for the time being. Corals... eh i dunno, thats a tuffy.

It's only harsh if you take it that way. Otherwise it's just reality. I believe in being up front and honest. No one is being mocked, rude or ill-informed, so therefore needless to start nick picking at my comments on a public forum (which seems to be a habit here for a few individuals).

If anyone has comments about my approach in commenting, feel free to send a private message, but for consideration to the people posting questions, it'd be respectful to keep these complaints off their thread and off the boards.

BTW...the name may be new, but I am not.

Sorry, but the staff will decide what is and what is not allowed in the threads and on the forums.

FWIW, the OP stated at the outset that he was not informed in advance of the spraying. Once informed, took several steps to protect and then came here to gather additional help. I'll emphasize the word help.

Serves no purpose in engaging in a debate about preparations when there obviously was no time for it.

I just mentioned it'd be respectful to keep such things off their threads and the boards. That is not a decision, but rather an opinion, thank you.

And there is no engagement of any debate, so please lighten up.

50 foot of air line and a small air pump. Keep a positive air pressure in the tank from a outside source and you should be OK. Outside of this just tape up the tank and hope!

SpydrWorks said:
I just mentioned it'd be respectful to keep such things off their threads and the boards. That is not a decision, but rather an opinion, thank you.

No, I thank you. You posted your opinion and I posted a fact.

And there is no engagement of any debate, so please lighten up.

I won't go into the minute definition of a debate. There was one, I'm advising that it cease. Very simple concept.

Agnate80700 said:
SpydrWorks said:

Pretty harsh. Your new, so you didnt know, but im pretty sure blazy lives with his/her folks and I doubt they gave him/her a heads up.

As for me, I'd try giving the fish to the lfs to hang onto for the bombing, they might be willing to house em for the time being. Corals... eh i dunno, thats a tuffy.
thanks...
yes I do live with my parents and like most parent, mine don't tell me much :roll: so I had no idea...but they put it off a week or two because apparently several people didnt know ahead of time and had no were for their pets to go... so when it is time I can now take the appropriate measures...
thanks again for the support and advice :)

Dang Jchillin...having to get reality into perspective there. Nice handling! Don't know that I would be able to remain as proper. :)

smn723 said:
Dang Jchillin...having to get reality into perspective there. Nice handling! Don't know that I would be able to remain as proper. :)

Lets remain on the topic of the original post please, nuff said on this one.
Thanks.

OMG!! I don't believe this. Everyone involved with this thread and any other threads posted by spydrworks...it was my cousin. The little brat (and he knows he's a brat) thought he'd help me (so he's a nice brat) with getting back to surfing the forum. He wanted to surprise me when I got back (was out on business trip) and Yeah...it is a surprise...GRRRR....

I apologize on his behalf for any problems. He turned 13 a few months ago, so he's a newbie teenager. But I'll give him some credit though. He seems to remember what I've taught him about fish...LOL.

He feels really bad, but embarrassed to admit he was wrong in some points and just got himself caught in a tangle he didn't know how to deal with. I think he learned his lesson just by the sheer experience of trying to cover himself as me while trying to maintain some dignity in the mess...lol. Remember when you were 13?

He really didn't mean any harm in anything he has written. He was just chatting as if he was chatting with anyone...whether a close friend or a stranger. That's how he is. He's a friendly person to anyone and sometimes may not realize some people have a different sense of humor than him.

Blazey...he was only joking around as he has indicated in a reply that the LOL at the end of the comment was to show he was just joking and not to be offended. OK?

Is everyone here content over this situation? Granted he did wrong. He knows that and he knows I'm not happy about it, but some of the comments made to him were just as rude and blind as the one he made, but the difference is, he was only joking and that's what he was trying to say all along.

So how are the fish? Did they make it through the bombing?

oh its all fine. I understand completely. oh and I was not offended :)
I do remember being 13 as it was only several years ago... (oh my LOL )
but as it turns out I got back and the filter had been plugged in my my mom (as I went to Gatlinburg) and when we found out that they were not bombing, she plugged it back in. BUT it didnt start to run because it didnt have any water in it (the aqua clear) and so the tank had no filtration all week...so I did a big WC and everything is alright :)

Good...glad to hear the tank survived. I know I'd have been freaking out if that were me...lol.

Glad you weren't offended and my cousin feels better too that you weren't.

See ya around the boards...

Back
Top Bottom