Bonehead move of the... Year???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David03

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all,
Just completed my 20G sump, and after days of runs to HD and local hardware store for plumbing and other flub-ups, I'm now ready to put in my sump, continue my cycle (tank is filled with water and shrimps are decomposing nicely) and be on my way.

Get under the stand, attach my hoses and ready to put the sump in... Uh oh. The laws of nature seem to dictate that a Perfecto aquarium can't turn corners. My AGA stand has a center post, and I can't fit the sump in. And my tank is agains the wall.

I eyeball it and think that they must have made the stand opening in the rear bigger to accomodate a 20G sump. Pumped out about 40 gallons of the water in the tank... and manage to lift/scoot the tank/stand/sand and 30+ gallons of water away from the wall. Guess what... rear opening still isn't big enough.

Unless someone can convince me that the center post on a AGA stand is not weight bearing, and that I can cut it out to put the tank in... I think my only recourse is to take the remainder of the water out, lift off the tank, and drop the sump in, from the top.

And I guess this DIY sump better be perfect, because I'm not thinking that I can get to it or swap it out once it's in...

Anybody run into this before?

Sorry for the long post, but I am just flabbergasted at this point.

TIA for any advice,
David

if it is a manufactured stand, i would be VERY hesitant to take out ANY of the material. i would think that they have some margin in there, but it probably isnt enough margin in the design to take out a center support...

just my .02

~mike

I agree Mike, I don't think I would take that option, unless an AGA certified rep told me otherwise.

I think I am going to have to go with the water removal and lifting the tank out... :evil:

My LFS is fantastic... and I'm not sure how this hasn't happened before for them.

Oy, this is maddening.

I bought an oceanic 175 gallon bowfront. It came with the oceanic sump. Guess what.....no way would it fit in there either. The center support was BARELY toenailed/stapled into the frame. My husband just shook his head when I took a hammer and really just lightly tapped the bottom and it swung free. We put the sump in and replaced the center support. (I used liquid nail to secure it). Sometimes you just have to say it ;)

Back
Top Bottom