Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
For all you acropora authorities......

I bought an acropora off craigslist this morning. I'll add the picture later today when my MH kick on. I bought it bc I think it was a good deal. Bonsai or not. It's about 4" tall and 3" in diameter for $40. Good looking coral. I figure I could pay that for a small drag of one. Did I get a good deal on this? No experience in acros.

However, only the tips of the branches are a deep purple? I see the little polyps, but I can't tell if they're green or not at this point (again...lights not on so hasn't really opened). He had this under 4-t5's near the top.

Is it possible that it is in fact a bonsai acro, but hasn't really colored up bc the lighting wasn't strong enough? Looks pretty cool under the actinics tho....pretty cool deep purple on the ends.

Picture to come shortly when lights turn on...

iPhone lens doesn't really capture purples, (turns them blue) but u can see that tips are that purple color ad there's a slight green to the closed polyp center.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-614987843.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	77427  

Tmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Come on Sps experts....throw a guy a bone here!

Tmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive got the same one, don't get too wrapped up in names though...... I just buy them if I like them. It's a bit like the zoo's with all the silly names.
Leighton79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com