Bore Hole Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

begginersluck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently buy my water from my LFS which isn't ideal. The only reason i haven't invested in an RO/DI unit is because i'm unsure if my water is safe. I'm not sure if it gets chlorinated but i could find out fairly easy. I know it goes through filters and UV sterilisers.

What else do i need to check for?

Ro/Di units will strip the water of everything. The only thing you may want to consider is finding out if your water company use chlouramines in their water treatment. If so then you may want to consider a chlouramine ready Ro/Di unit.

+1... BRS has a unit specifically for chloramines. Just ask your DPW if they treat with chlorine or chloramines. If chlorine, there isn't a special RODI, but i will recommend a 5 stage with TDS meter and pressure gauge (Thanks MRC)... They're cheap under $200.

How large of a tank do you have and how much do you expect to make weekly? Is the tank the only thing you will be filtering water for? For example I make my coffe and tea with ro/di which if you haven't I highly reccomend keeping a gallon of Ro/Di next to the coffee pot ;) you'll thank me lol

Lol no i use regular filtered water for my tea and coffee. My LFS told me today that you cant drink RO water? It was however one of the guys that works there that i LEAST trust haha. And guess what..... he's the floor manager! Normally go to the owner but he's away! Bummer!

Anyway il be using it for my 300l aquarium along with 2 QT's. One is 60l and the other is about 40l. I always have 20l of mixed saltwater at hand and the same amount of RO/DI water for my top off! Can i run it straight into a 25 litre jerry can?

(usa here lol) jerry? And I think your making 10 gallons a week right now so say about 15 gallons a week which isn't a very large amount. A 5 stage Ro/Di would be a good investment but I opted for the 4 stage since three times in a row they were sold out of their 5 stage lol. If your ordering from brs their units are modular so I can add stages to my system to potentially make it a 5 stage just from buy the missing stage.

I'm making about the same amount of water as you and need filter changes roughly every 10 months but that will differ depending on water source quality and pressure.

Do BRS post to the UK?

Jerry can..... i thought that was a worldwide saying. Maybe not haha.

Well i think its definately on my shopping list! I spent a fortune over the last couple of months on upgrading lights, QT's, new food, new fish etc. Not sure how close to the top of the shopping list this unit is though lol.

Do you know much about QT'ing? I started a new thread this afternoon on what i've been having problems with. Maybe you could check it out? It's under 'Sick Fish & Corals' 'New Quarantine Tank'. I could do with an experienced point of view.

I'm not sure about brs shipping to UK sorry. I would think dry goods wouldn't be an issue though. But jerry can lol.... trash can?

Ok I googled jerry cans and I know what your talking about now lmao I call them jugs lol

Back
Top Bottom