Bottled water until I get a RO unit....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
distilled only. Specifically RO or RODI if you can find it labeled that way. "spring" water may be worse than tap.

Local grocery stores usually have a water filling station.. That water is usually RO.. You can always check the local stores..

gotz_potential said:
Local grocery stores usually have a water filling station.. That water is usually RO.. You can always check the local stores..

Agreed.

You can also check with your LFS. Many SW stores will offer RO water by the gallon (you often need to bring your own bucket :) ) This is what I did until I was able to find an RO unit.

Also agreed. Try to see if you can find a water store(I kid you not). I get mine at a plce called the Water Gourmet and you can see the giant RO/DI unit in the back. Costs me $.25/gal.

I've always been wary of those water vending machines at the storefront ever since a saw some drunk hobo peeing in one! 8O No thank you.....

Wherever you do decide to purchase water from it’s still a good idea to test for no3/po4 (which will cause algae issues) before adding to the tank because unfortunately a lot of stores don’t change out their filters and you end up paying for tap water basically anyways. If you get anything other then 0 on the tests then find another store!

Also I would spend the extra $30-$50 on an ro/di unit instead of a ro unit only since the di part will completely remove no3/po4 but ro only could leave some behind.

A lot of people get them from ebay for around $100. Below are the 3 most popular sites:
Filter-Direct-store (seems to be most popular on this site)
The-Aqua-Safe-Pure-Water-Shop
ROfilterDepot

Also airwaterice.com is a good place if you don’t want to deal with ebay.

Lowes & HD typically carry ro units but usually not ro/di and they also typically run higher then what you can get them online for.

GE RO Unit at HD for $159

This ro/di unit from filter direct would run $115 with shipping. You just need the $8 garden hose adapter for hooking up your laundry room hose.

The RO/DI system is a snap to use. You can either permanently mount it (almost anywhere), or set it on the counter (like I did) and hook it up when you need to make water.

You can get a TDS meter to check the final product water. When the TDS levels start to rise, you will know its time to change the filters. Depending on how much yuck is in your water, will dictate how soon you have to change the filters.

Back
Top Bottom