bought another tank so starting a new build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a 4ft tank with a stand for $50 i need to get a filter and heater then ill be set to start my cycle :)

Just gonna go with a reef tank im upgrading from an 8gal nano im not to sure on the size of this tank yet as i havent measured it. Its going to have a clown fish and a yellow belly damsel thats all i got so far in my nano i know its over stocked but they have a new tank now

Ah, yes I realised when I typed that you said 4ft and assumed 55g, sorry! For what it's worth my only regret was not setting it up with a sump when I first got it (it was my first saltwater and I didn't know) as it is I run Berlin style just fine - I have half a tank worth of corals, the ones that my puffer won't eat ;)

Haha i want to run a sump but will probably just run a canister filter the local shop charges $70 to drill one hole in the tank so i cant afford that haha i want to have it packed with corals

If I may suggest not using a canister, I am sure you've heard of the expression 'nitrate factory' in saltwater tanks! Although there are people who have had success with them, I hear the cleaning maintenance is a couple of times a week! Will you have a skimmer, powerheads?

Oh hah maybe i wont have a canister haha i have a koriallia power head what filter would you suggest?

It's all up to you of course, I run filter less - two powerheads, one at each end and a skimmer, that's it. Weekly water changes and all is stable, I have a lightly stocked tank though, I think that helps...

Good size! I didn't even know aqua one made skimmers - if you can get one rated for twice your water volume, try not to get a cheap one, you'll only have to replace it down the road :)

Yea i didnt either do you know the ratio for working out how much live rock you need to seed dry rock

Haha i want to run a sump but will probably just run a canister filter the local shop charges $70 to drill one hole in the tank so i cant afford that haha i want to have it packed with corals

Do you have a reef club in your area? If so check with them about drilling. The club may be able to help for free. Or at least at the cost of a few beers.

Nice score. I also have a 55 and I also wish I had started out with a sump with a built in refugium. Ordering one this weekend. Check bulk reef supply for your equipment.

So i finally got around to putting water amd rock in my tank its all dry rock so far and my LFS ran out of salt water so im waiting till next weekend to finish filling it up here are some pics ill be adding more rock soon

ForumRunner_20130928_153426.jpg

ForumRunner_20130928_153440.jpg

Yea i didnt either do you know the ratio for working out how much live rock you need to seed dry rock

You can "seed" with as little as a 1 in. piece of rubble. I try to get a 1-2lb piece to speed things along. Be sure to blind feed after you put any LR in there.

Back
Top Bottom