Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

bought coral but already looks dead?

its still in the bags but i bought 3 different ones
i got a no name they gave me the wrong order i didnt notice
i got a pulsing xenia, looked great in the store but its almost dead looking and its still in the bag, im acclimating it right now. Its all shriveled up, will it be better over time?
also a mushroom that is green, just 1 cap, and it looks shriveled up as well, before i even put it in my tank to float it

Old 12-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Corals usually close up when they are being transferred. They might not open up for a few days. Do you have any pics?

Old 12-23-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

ill get pics tomorrow i want to leave the lights off the rest of the day. I put it on the opposite end of my tank to avoid the flow, but i cant tell if the flow is too much or too little, i suppose i will leave all my corals as is for a few days then move them if they dont improve
i believe they were at least 4 inches+ at the store, right now its barely half an inch, but i read if xenia are dying they melt
Old 12-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

they will be fine. don't worry. unless there is something wrong with your water quality. calc, alk, no nitrate, no phosphate, ph between 7.9-8.3 , medium to high light level and medium to high water movement...

however, if your lights are much stronger than the lights in the store you bought it from... i would suggest you place them in a darker area (not in a shade of course) and move them up over time.

good luck!
Old 12-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

here are the pics, do they look alive? especially my mushroom

shriveled up still, i just moved it to less flow and it didnt open up still

no idea what this is, he gave me the wrong order i had like this bright yellow zooanthid picked up but instead i got home with this guy, i personally would of rather had the zooanthid (

my favorite coral, but the most dying looking

here is a pic it opened up, my xenia is a little bigger than it was yesterday forgot to mention

actually this one is a lot bigger than i thought, i guess it was ok for the price, 3 frags for 30(xenia was 35)
Old 12-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The xenia looks as though its in extremely low flow. What lighting do you have and how much flow do you have? It's very normal for corals to close up when disturbed and after transfers to New enviroments it can last a couple days maybe even weeks. Your corals are most definitely alive but they seem as though they aren't happy with their placement which may mean you need to find a higher flow area or upgrade pumps.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

i kept reading xenia like either low or medium flow, i put it at the opposite end where theere should be low flow, i can move it to a higher flow area but then i heard they wont pulse as much, which is the main reason i bought them

my mushroom still looks shriveled even though i moved it, and i think its because the guy pinched him to pick him up, it looks as if he has an invisible pinch hold on him, maybe its damaged

what about my middle piece? i think its a button polyp, i randomly placed that one

where would you have me move my xenia? i can put it higher but not sure how close to the middle since i dont want it next to my buttons

i have a single 750 koralia, 20 long tank, 2x24 watt t5ho nova extreme
Old 12-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those are def zoanthids that you have. They are just closed up. Mushroom doesn't look too bad. And yeah +1 the placement might not be correct. Zoanthids are pretty easy though as are mushrooms.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

placement of my xenia? i had to consider the fact that if they take over, and i put them in higher flow, that placement would give them possibility to take over the tank

i placed it on a rock far from others so i can easily stop it from spreading, plus it has indirect flow there ! can someone explain what a better placement would be and why

will i cause my coral stress if i move them in a week?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

You are at low light levels imo so you could keep them directly in the light with that fixture. I have xenia thriving on my spray bar literally at the surface of the water under 6 T5s to give you an idea of what they can actually handle. As for flow that's a pretty big pump imo for a 20 long which will probably cause very high flow in one end and low flow on the other. It's best to have 2 smaller pumps to create a more random flow. Try moving the xenia just outside the pumps current to where it sways slowly but consistently and can also get direct light. The zoas I would place as close to the lighting I can and can handle lower flow then the xenia. The mushrooms I can't speak first hand as I refuse to keep them since they can spread so fast but they are among the lowest ligh and flow requirement corals so that can stay where it is it looks decent right now.

Tags
coral, dead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com