Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2003, 02:34 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Firstly, this statement was by the HOST of the show, not the speaker from Tetra.
Yep, perhaps I wasn't clear, I do not just hold Tetra responsible for this, CBS would not run a news story without first verifying and double checking all the facts that would be presented in the story, yet they care little about the accuracy of this little fluff piece.

Quote:
But you can set up a successful tank without needing a college degree.
I'll give ya that one, it's true, but the statement about setting up an aquarium being easy, is misleading IMO.

Quote:
You've mis-quoted them here
I wasn't quoting them, that was the feel I took from that particular part of the segment and I suspect that feeling was shared by many.

Quote:
I don't know becuase I did not see the entire show so I can not form an opinion on that which I have not seen for myself.

and THAT is what really bothers me about all this.
Until I saw the clip this morning, I have totally refrained from being involved in any of these discussions, So I understand exactly where your coming from.

Quote:
so, i'll calm down now and say, while I have a different opinion on the clip that I saw from most others (and I'm sure I'll receive quite the bashing for it)
Not on this forum, the first bit of bashing that goes on here will get this thread shut down. Everyone is entitled to their opinon, whether we agree with them or not, diversity is what makes the world go round

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 02:57 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Hara, I respect your opinions and certainly your knowledge of the SW hobby so i don't want to create any bad blood here (from what I've seen you're pretty open to logical debate more than bickering so I trust you wont read this post as inflammatory)

you state "Slow and quiet never works" and you're right, it doesn't. but Irate and Mis-informed doesn't work either because it makes us look like dim-witted reactionaries and we throw away any hope of companies actually listening to us now or in the future. Trust has little to do with it Hara, I'm sure you've heard the grapevine theory before, word of mouth rarely carries accurate facts.

Old 06-20-2003, 03:04 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
BillyZ I think the tetra response has been posted here on another thread. I will try to track it down for you. Im sure if you search "tetra cbs" you will find it quickly.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 03:07 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra's Response to e-mails sent
Thank you for writing to us about Tetra's appearance on the CBS Early Show.

The brevity of the segment prevented us from covering all of the points that we would have liked to cover. Tetra understands that setting up any aquarium is a complicated process and we refer people to responsible sources of information, such as a local retail pet professional or www.tetra-fish.com for more detailed information.

Your point is well taken. I can assure you that we will consider your concerns in all of our future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Tetra Consumer Relations
I pulled this from another post on this site. People over at reefcentral.com that have sent messages to tetra have gotten the EXACT same message.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is a total stock letter, everyone who emails them gets that. I have not bought a tetra product in a while and see no reason to say I am boycotting them when I most likely will never buy a product again since I can find better and cheaper products. I totally agree with RR though, they should have said a little something about how you should consult others before attempting to recreate this totally misleading setup we have created.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:15 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

I have looked on their website and I see no information on how to set up a 'nemo' or saltwater tank.

My biggest problem is i feel the woman giving the presentation was giving a stock presentation on how to setup a freshwater aquarium and just made it a saltwater nemo tank because of its current popularity.

The fact that they added plastic plants and talked about how you could add live plants to your aquarium and they 'thrive' in aquariums. There are no real "plants" insaltwater. Its either animal or algae.

Old 06-20-2003, 03:15 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
CBS would not run a news story without first verifying and double checking all the facts that would be presented in the story
That is certainly debateable! If you want to talk about boycotting CBS, I'll hop on that bandwagon, but for completely different reasons!

Quote:
I'll give ya that one, it's true, but the statement about setting up an aquarium being easy, is misleading IMO. I wasn't quoting them, that was the feel I took from that particular part of the segment...
hmm perhaps... but not necessaily with subversive intentions. If you had a friend over, showing them your tank. He's excited and states, "I'd love one but their just too hard aren't they?" not to put words in your mouth, but would it be likely you would respond along the lines of, "they take work but they aren't that hard really" Thats the "feeling" I get when i see it. But their "inent" of the statement can really only be judged subjectivly by us so there's no point in us debating their intent.

Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinon, whether we agree with them or not, diversity is what makes the world go round
And thats what makes me value this board above the others I've seen.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:19 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Trust has little to do with it Hara, I'm sure you've heard the grapevine theory before, word of mouth rarely carries accurate facts.
Luckily, in this case the grape-vine theory did not come into effect, as the the 4 minute spot was easy to sum up and was done so accurately on every thread I have seen.

While she did indeed give a few "rules", they weren't very helpful or she broke them herself. The overstocking rule was the most shocking as she wedged the hippo tang, clowns, seahorses, and brittle star into a 5g minibow. She could have mentioned in one short sentence that these fish could never co-habit and grow in this environment. We are talking a major blunder here. She also mentioned a 1" per gallon rule that is not even applicable to saltwater.

I don't think it was much as a few errors being the problem, as it is the fact that they were major errors, and being a large company in the industry, Tetra certainly should have known better. The possible detriment to the hobby could be enormous, when we are already trying to prove that saltwater keeping is legitimate. Distributors in California have just narrowly escaped heavy restricions on imports of fish from lobbying by activists, the "Nemo" craze and endorsement by Tetra gives them plenty more well deserved fuel to add on the fire.

The permissions have been corrected on my site, thanks for bringing it up Kevin. Both the Complaint letter and video clip are available:

http://www.reefnut.com/Forum/viewfor...eacf72fd386242
Old 06-20-2003, 03:25 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If a bunch of people here want to sign it, I would be glad to put the AA banner on the letter as well....it's up to the admins. Or you can proudly just state Aquarium Advice after your name.

The letter can be made as personal as you want, if you don't want to boycott and just want to express concern....feel free to write about it. I just ask everyone to be civil (don't expect a problem from here) or the entry will be deleted.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:30 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

does anyone know if the show is available to view in it's entirety anywhere? Or a transcript available online?

Tags
tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com