Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2003, 01:36 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
OK the show was a marketing ploy hopping on the bandwagon and trying to make money from a film but the failsafe must be the LFS
As mentioned, a great deal of LFS will gladly take the increased sales over responsible fish-keeping. It also isn't their responsibility to clean up the mess left by one of the largest aquarium keeping related manufacturers in the world.

Quote:
do you believe everything you see on TV
No, but we are talking about a presentation on a major morning show on a major television station, a huge name in the industry. This was not a movie or late night infomercial.

Tetra made it clear that people should go to their website for more information.........although many have noticed that their website doesn't have any detailed saltwater information.

Old 06-23-2003, 01:56 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

My husband does video production for a local television station. I have personally seen one hour of filming cut down to a two minute segment. (In fact this is the norm) In giving the benefit of the doubt it is possible that they filmed an entire segment which was informative, and CBS edited out most of the material. Believe me, I doubt that the editors knew which fish keeping material was crucial. Just a thought. 8O

"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 02:00 AM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
In giving the benefit of the doubt it is possible that they filmed an entire segment which was informative, and CBS edited out most of the material.
While I am sure that CBS put a time constraint on it...no editing was done, it was a live show.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:49 AM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I also feel that if it would have been a taped segement inserted into a live show and the informative part got left on the cutting room floor that tetra's response to all of our e-mails would be different aswell.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 10:51 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, if the editing part was true I am sure tetra would let all of us know that, and when I say all of us i mean that. Everyone that emailed them would get the exact same email saying how they did a good job and got screwed. Regardless, they still put a tang! into a 5 gallon tank.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:24 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

They do edit live shows (just not as much) I certainly dont have any idea why they would put a tang into a 5 gallon tank.
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 08:43 PM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Bottom line is what they did could ruin our hobby. With all the restrictions being put on us, just like Hoops said, this is just fuel for the fire. And you know who will get screwed on the deal? Responcible hobbists like us, and that includes people who have defended the segment. If you like keeping fish tanks in a responcible manner, it is your duty to stand up against people who try to take it away from you and the people who give them a reason to take it away. And that my friends would be a company named TETRA. So once again I say, Boycott Tetra!!
Old 06-23-2003, 08:51 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am not gonna buy anything from them, but again, they are more FW.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:07 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I understand the desire to hope that they really weren't "that bad". But as I said before, whether 4 minutes or 4 hours....the majority of the information given was blatantly false and there was no way to make it true by explaining it more. "Most fish" are not captive bred in Florida, "1 inch per gallon" is not acceptable in saltwater, and "live plants" do not "thrive" in saltwater aquariums. And those statements are just a few pulled from the hat of irresponsible statement CHW and Tetra put forth.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:03 PM   #40
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I have to wonder Hoops. If you took those three statements and converted that tank into freshwater I bet you could say that at lest 2 of the 3 where true.

I still hold to the fact that this was a presentation that was not really planed out that well and that was made from freshwater to saltwater on the spur of the moment. maybe the same morning of the show. Maybe the day before.

I feel the information conveyed was wrong and they should have given more about how to get additional information by looking on the internet or at their local aquarium store. I do not feel strong enough to boycott a company.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com