Boycott Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Until the permissions are set right, you will not be able to view the thread without joining the forum, just FYI.

Ok I have the video file. I am going to be uploading it to my personal webserver.

The file can be downloaded at http://www.vafishfreek.com/tetra.mpg

For anyone who has not seen the clip please feel free to download it from my site.

bigsnuff, Tetra was on the CBS early show last saturday and apparently showed how easy it was to setup a 'nemo' tank. There is much debate as to if they properly showed how to setup a tank and many feel they just glossed over many of the nessicary elements like not overstocking, acutally using salt, proper water temp, acclomation, etc.

I just watched the entire video and here are my comments:

she seemed to me a mid level marketing type. In my experience they often know little of what they're talking about and often make over simplified statements to lure in new customers. That's their job.

this was a 4 minute discussion on "how to set up a kit tank". I think it is unreasonable to expect anyone to be able to go into every arguable minute detail on setting up a tank in 4 minutes. How long do we spend discussing filters, CC, DSBs etc on here? And our discussions are always on going. I think it is unfair to call for a boycott simply because they "glossed over" over stocking and over feeding. They DID mention, after all, to be careful of these things and did give general "rules of thumb" as we give "rules of thumb" on our own discussion board all the time. Should we expect Tetra to turn down the invitation to appear on the Talk show simply because the producers of the show wouldn't give them a full hour to discuss how to set up a fish tank? (and many here would argue that even an hour wouldn't be enough time... and in my opinion they're probably right)

What most likely happened here is someone at the TV show said, "Finding Nemo is HOT right now, lets get someone on the show to demonstrate how to set up a fish tank? but super-star-so-and-so will be on that day... so they can only have 4 minutes to show us" Has anyone CONTACTED Tetra for a statement regarding your concerns? How about everyone write them (snail mail OR e-mail) and note your concerns to them. See what TETRA has to say.

I think for a 4 minute demonstration they did better than many would. They DID discuss the following:
Water quality
Filters
Replacing the filters
Overstocking
Overfeeding
The need for lighting
Acclimation
Water Conditioning
Promoted tank bred fish rather than live caught

how much detail can you expect them to go into in 4 minutes? I'm impressed that they discussed that many items.

I have used Tetra products for a long time. I have always found their products to be some of the higher quality items I've used. I have filters and pumps from tetra that have been running for years with no problems.

To call for a boycot because of a 4 minute demonstration on a TV talkshow i think is over-reacting some. I will admit, I have not seen the "letter" that is discussed in the first post (i'm reluctant to sign up for YET ANOTHER discussion forum. I like the people and content here and the last thing I need is another site that distracts me while I'm at work! ; o) )

again, these are my opinions. I will not boycott Tetra or their products because of this 4 minute demonstration.

I implore you all to WATCH the video for yourselves and PLEASE form your own opinions. Please don't simply jump aboard because others are (that includes my view as well).

I too, just finished watching it, here was my take on it.

- "It's actually very easy to set up an aquarium"

-Fish are the idiotproof pet (how many fish have been killed by smart people cause they had no clue what they were doing)

-Specifically called a 5g minibow a "Nemo Tank" For demonstration purposes would have been just as easy to do a 30 or 55g aquarium.

-Paracanturus Hepatis (looked to be about 3"), 2 Ocellaris clowns, seahorse, in a 5g tank that is approx 30min to 1hr old.

-Called the fish Farm Raised, I suppose it is possible that the tang was farm raised, but it wasn't Tank bred, tangs are broadcast spawners and have yet to be bred in captivity.

-Mentioned the need for acclimation, but when explained mentioned nothing more than temp, I'll give them this oone since there is a faction of the hobby that believes the temp acclimate and dump them method is actually less stressful that exchanging water.

-1" per gallon in a SW tank 8O

Here is my biggest problem with that little spot. How hard would it have been to say, "Please research your fish prior to purchase. Talk to your local fish retailer or cunsult one of the many online fishkeeping forums prior to setting up your aquarium." They couldn't do this, cause they had already said keeping fish was idiot proof. I am unsure of whether I would boycott Tetra or not, the point is mute for me, I haven't purchased a tetra product in about 5 years or more. I will be adding comments to the thread, possibly a copy and paste of what I have written here.

reefrunner69 said:
"It's actually very easy to set up an aquarium"
Firstly, this statement was by the HOST of the show, not the speaker from Tetra. Secondly, isn't it simple to set one up? Of course if you take it to the extreme that many of US have, then yes, it is a daunting task. But you can set up a successful tank without needing a college degree.

-Fish are the idiotproof pet (how many fish have been killed by smart people cause they had no clue what they were doing)
You've mis-quoted them here. THE HOST (NOT the woman from tetra) starts off saying, "I know fish are sometimes called the idiot proof pet because they don't take a lot of work..." but then clarifies "...but it does take some effort" To which the speaker from Tetra replies "It does take some effort. As long as you follow a few simple rules..."

Here is my biggest problem with that little spot. How hard would it have been to say, "Please research your fish prior to purchase. Talk to your local fish retailer or cunsult one of the many online fishkeeping forums prior to setting up your aquarium."
I agree 100%. If I had anything to say about the CLIP that I saw would be that I wish I would have heard either the woman from Tetra or the host say that. Does that mena they didn't? I don't know. I did not see the whole show and thefore cannot say they did or not. I do know that they continued on discussing other tanks as I did see them approach a tank of pirahana and started to discuss them but the clip then faded to black. Perhaps she said that as they wrapped up the segment or perhaps if she interviewed the speaker after the demonstration.. I don't know becuase I did not see the entire show so I can not form an opinion on that which I have not seen for myself.

and THAT is what really bothers me about all this. I surfed through a couple of the other links supplied in these discussions and I am absolutely appauled at how quickly people got up in arms and formed such strong opinions and started blasting Tetra and CBS and anyone else they could think of based on nothing more than someone elses posts. I saw a few posts were people argued on and on about the limits and recomendations of a "15 gallon tank" when the woman in the clip clearly states in a 5 gallon tank. Then a few DAYS later in the same thread they start talking about wanting to SEE the clip... how can people get so inflamed about something that havn't even seen for themselves?

*breathe* so, i'll calm down now and say, while I have a different opinion on the clip that I saw from most others (and I'm sure I'll receive quite the bashing for it) I do respect your opinions. If you feel they were irresponsible in their actinos then it is your duty to call them on it. I just ask that people see things for themselves and act on evidence and fact, not on hearsay and rumor. Doing so only hurts all of us in the long run.

My whole problem was that they
a)oversimplified everything by implication ie: glass container, add water, add fish and voila!
b)had someone completely unqualified from a company that is not even a marine specialty company telling you the best way to do things. why didnt Kent Marine do the spot?
c)made it look like stuffing 10 gallons of crap in a five gallon container is pure OK!

and I disagree with you completely Billy on your opinion of how "quickly people get up in arms". It takes people like that to get changes made. Slow and quiet never works. Semantics about whether it was a 5 or 15 gallon tank really made no difference...the example they gave was not a good one any way you look at it.
You dont have to "experience" the video clip or see the show if you are hearing
the events from people you trust.

Firstly, this statement was by the HOST of the show, not the speaker from Tetra.

Yep, perhaps I wasn't clear, I do not just hold Tetra responsible for this, CBS would not run a news story without first verifying and double checking all the facts that would be presented in the story, yet they care little about the accuracy of this little fluff piece.

But you can set up a successful tank without needing a college degree.

I'll give ya that one, it's true, but the statement about setting up an aquarium being easy, is misleading IMO.

You've mis-quoted them here

I wasn't quoting them, that was the feel I took from that particular part of the segment and I suspect that feeling was shared by many.

I don't know becuase I did not see the entire show so I can not form an opinion on that which I have not seen for myself.

and THAT is what really bothers me about all this.

Until I saw the clip this morning, I have totally refrained from being involved in any of these discussions, So I understand exactly where your coming from.

so, i'll calm down now and say, while I have a different opinion on the clip that I saw from most others (and I'm sure I'll receive quite the bashing for it)

Not on this forum, the first bit of bashing that goes on here will get this thread shut down. Everyone is entitled to their opinon, whether we agree with them or not, diversity is what makes the world go round :wink:

Hara, I respect your opinions and certainly your knowledge of the SW hobby so i don't want to create any bad blood here (from what I've seen you're pretty open to logical debate more than bickering so I trust you wont read this post as inflammatory)

you state "Slow and quiet never works" and you're right, it doesn't. but Irate and Mis-informed doesn't work either because it makes us look like dim-witted reactionaries and we throw away any hope of companies actually listening to us now or in the future. Trust has little to do with it Hara, I'm sure you've heard the grapevine theory before, word of mouth rarely carries accurate facts.

BillyZ I think the tetra response has been posted here on another thread. I will try to track it down for you. Im sure if you search "tetra cbs" you will find it quickly.

Tetra's Response to e-mails sent said:
Thank you for writing to us about Tetra's appearance on the CBS Early Show.

The brevity of the segment prevented us from covering all of the points that we would have liked to cover. Tetra understands that setting up any aquarium is a complicated process and we refer people to responsible sources of information, such as a local retail pet professional or www.tetra-fish.com for more detailed information.

Your point is well taken. I can assure you that we will consider your concerns in all of our future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Tetra Consumer Relations

I pulled this from another post on this site. People over at reefcentral.com that have sent messages to tetra have gotten the EXACT same message.

It is a total stock letter, everyone who emails them gets that. I have not bought a tetra product in a while and see no reason to say I am boycotting them when I most likely will never buy a product again since I can find better and cheaper products. I totally agree with RR though, they should have said a little something about how you should consult others before attempting to recreate this totally misleading setup we have created.

I have looked on their website and I see no information on how to set up a 'nemo' or saltwater tank.

My biggest problem is i feel the woman giving the presentation was giving a stock presentation on how to setup a freshwater aquarium and just made it a saltwater nemo tank because of its current popularity.

The fact that they added plastic plants and talked about how you could add live plants to your aquarium and they 'thrive' in aquariums. There are no real "plants" insaltwater. Its either animal or algae.

CBS would not run a news story without first verifying and double checking all the facts that would be presented in the story
That is certainly debateable! :D If you want to talk about boycotting CBS, I'll hop on that bandwagon, but for completely different reasons! :D

I'll give ya that one, it's true, but the statement about setting up an aquarium being easy, is misleading IMO. I wasn't quoting them, that was the feel I took from that particular part of the segment...
hmm perhaps... but not necessaily with subversive intentions. If you had a friend over, showing them your tank. He's excited and states, "I'd love one but their just too hard aren't they?" not to put words in your mouth, but would it be likely you would respond along the lines of, "they take work but they aren't that hard really" Thats the "feeling" I get when i see it. But their "inent" of the statement can really only be judged subjectivly by us so there's no point in us debating their intent.

Everyone is entitled to their opinon, whether we agree with them or not, diversity is what makes the world go round :wink:
And thats what makes me value this board above the others I've seen.

Trust has little to do with it Hara, I'm sure you've heard the grapevine theory before, word of mouth rarely carries accurate facts.
Luckily, in this case the grape-vine theory did not come into effect, as the the 4 minute spot was easy to sum up and was done so accurately on every thread I have seen.

While she did indeed give a few "rules", they weren't very helpful or she broke them herself. The overstocking rule was the most shocking as she wedged the hippo tang, clowns, seahorses, and brittle star into a 5g minibow. She could have mentioned in one short sentence that these fish could never co-habit and grow in this environment. We are talking a major blunder here. She also mentioned a 1" per gallon rule that is not even applicable to saltwater.

I don't think it was much as a few errors being the problem, as it is the fact that they were major errors, and being a large company in the industry, Tetra certainly should have known better. The possible detriment to the hobby could be enormous, when we are already trying to prove that saltwater keeping is legitimate. Distributors in California have just narrowly escaped heavy restricions on imports of fish from lobbying by activists, the "Nemo" craze and endorsement by Tetra gives them plenty more well deserved fuel to add on the fire.

The permissions have been corrected on my site, thanks for bringing it up Kevin. Both the Complaint letter and video clip are available:

http://www.reefnut.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=55500481a0f654a43ceacf72fd386242

If a bunch of people here want to sign it, I would be glad to put the AA banner on the letter as well....it's up to the admins. Or you can proudly just state Aquarium Advice after your name.

The letter can be made as personal as you want, if you don't want to boycott and just want to express concern....feel free to write about it. I just ask everyone to be civil (don't expect a problem from here) or the entry will be deleted.

does anyone know if the show is available to view in it's entirety anywhere? Or a transcript available online?

Back
Top Bottom