Boyds Chemi-pure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neon_hybrid

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been fighting a high nitrate level for almost 2 months now. I have been doing 12 gallon water changes weekly, as well as adding a new protein skimmer, and a second power head to increase circulation in my tank. Some people here recommended doing a substrate change, and to remove the bio balls. I have done a substrate change, which did not change anything. I now have a 2.5 inch bed of argonite and plan to add a sand sifting star, and some other inverts to help stir up the argonite. I also plan on getting a goby to help clean the argonite. My LFS recommended to add a bag of Chemi-pure to my overflow to see if it helps. I added it, and the next morning, I was abolutley amazed at how clear my water was. I never really noticed the water was not clear until after I added the bag. I also tested my nitrates yesterday, and they are down to around 30 ppm from around 120ppm which was a releif. I am slowly removing my boi balls, and I hope that they are where the nitrate issue is. I wanted to know, has anyone else had good luck with the Chemi-Pure, and is it something that people from here would recommend? Is it safe to keep this in my over flow and use it as a filter medium?

I use it in the 20g. I like it and it seems to help. It definitely couldn't hurt.
Definitely get the bio balls out. Next question, what are the rest of your tank specs. How big is the tank, what are the rest of your water parameters? How did you nitrates get so high? I've never even heard of 120ppm before. How much live rock do you have?

55g tank, I have probably about 70 lbs of ive rock, argonite substrate, no coral, fish and inverts only

I did loose 1 fish rescently, buy my nitrates were already through the roof.

I have
1 yellow tang
1 angel fish
2 yellow tail damsels
2 cleaner shrimp
8 turbo snails
12 hermit crabs

I bought the tank "established" from my friends stepdad, so i dont know how the nitrates got so high. The previous owner never cleaned the substrate which I believe was part of the problem. The protenin skimmer he had also never worked. He woud only have to clean it about once a month and almost nothing would be in it. I have to clean mine about every 3 days... The tank has 0 amonia, and 0 nitrite. the PH is about 8.2/8.3.

im not really looking for any help with the nitrates now, as i need to fix the previous things which were recommended to me. My nitrates are coming down so I think I have it under control, and I am removing bio balls as well. I am going to do another water change tomorrow and Im hoping to see the nitrates even lower... We will see what happens

Back
Top Bottom