Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2005, 09:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Brain question

I have a brain (Wellsophyllia I think) that is just beautiful. It usually inflates to a modest size (see pic - usual size) but yesterday it REALLY inflated! I haven't resized the pic yet of the extra inflation. Is this normal? I have 4x65w PC lights and the bulbs are just at 9mos old. I was planning on replacing them this month. Could the lights be causing this? It's odd because I'm starting to get some coral recession on some species while others are growing like mad.

Fireman

Old 01-23-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
steve-s

They can inflate quite heavily for no reason on occasion. Not usually something to be overly concerned about unless it is one of the corals showing receded areas. I would definately look into the cause with those corals.

I don't see a pic though Unless it's the Jan 15 in your gallery section?

In regards to lighting, it will inflate a little more if it's not getting proper intensity. PC's will usually need changing around the 9-11 month mark depending on hours/day in use. I also finf they will inflate a bit more if alkalinity is off (low usually).

AFAIK, Wellsophyllia is not a true genus, it's properly refered to as Trachyphyllia radiata. Without a better pic, I'd say yours is a geoffroyi. What does the base look like?

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-23-2005, 09:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here is the pic of it normal sized. I don't know why it didn't post before.

I put a pic of it swelled in my gallery. I cannot just reduce the image size on this computer (work), I can only make it smaller by cropping the edges. So it's a severly cropped pic. Sorry.

Fireman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brain_2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	343  
Old 01-23-2005, 11:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Steve,

In regards to the coral recession, the main coral is a colt coral. I just read this thread that you gave advice in and I believe you explained why it's recessing. I added a green clown goby about 2 months ago and the goby lives in it. It was fine up until a week ago. Now it's showing the same signs as in the other thread.

Here's the thread
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=40538
Old 01-24-2005, 11:57 AM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman26m
Here is the pic of it normal sized. I don't know why it didn't post before.

I put a pic of it swelled in my gallery.
This kind of behavior is not all that odd. They will do it from time to time and is usually no means for concern unless it remains like that for long periods (days). A few hours thoughout the day is not unusual. It does not look irritated and I see no "warning" signs so to speak. Could also be a prelude to a feeding response.

Quote:
In regards to the coral recession, the main coral is a colt coral. I just read this thread that you gave advice in and I believe you explained why it's recessing. I added a green clown goby about 2 months ago and the goby lives in it. It was fine up until a week ago. Now it's showing the same signs as in the other thread.

Here's the thread
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=40538
That would not be a recession so much as it would be withdrawn from an irritation. Also be sure yours is the same species. Poisson's is not your typical "leather" variety of colt (Alcyonium Linnaeus) and does not slough as a rule. Yours could simpley be shedding or as you said bothered by the Goby.
Do you know the species of colt?

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-24-2005, 05:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I believe it is Cladiella sp but I'm not sure. It looks very close to the one sold by Liveaquaria.com but the base/trunk is much thicker. The polyps rarely extend out any more and does not have the "bushy" appearance it once had. There is no sliming. Occasionally, there are branches that look like they over-inflated and have a blistered look at the end of the branch but it's never lasted more than an hour or so.

3 months ago I had to frag the coral to save it as one side began to die off.

Fireman
Old 01-24-2005, 06:56 PM   #7
steve-s

Cladiella's will slough and go dormant although not as often as most leathers. Any chance it's close to another coral?

Are you running carbon?

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-24-2005, 07:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Run carbon all the time changing every 2 weeks. Closest other coral is a frogspawn about 9" away besides some mushrooms and GSP.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:56 PM   #9
steve-s

Without a pic then all I can guess is sloughing. The nearest coral being 9" away would not normally be an issue. The GSP's if much closer would be. They are increadibley aggressive. How far off is the anemone from the leather?

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-24-2005, 08:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anemone is at least a foot from the colt.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com