Brain Worm Coral mucus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was considering getting a brain worm coral. When I was reading up on them it says they produce a lot of mucus. What is the mucus for and will it foul the water? Should I avoid it?

They produce a lot of mucus if they are under stress or after shipping/handling Once established they don't produce much. I am supposing this is a Platygyra spp. coral you are referring to. Some corals do produce mucus as a form to catch suspended matter in the water column for feeding purposes. But I do not think this particular coral would feed that way, they have feeder tentacles. This coral is one of the easiest and of less maintenance required ones available. If you get one with ball shape, then these particular ones, with time will grow to be spectacular specimens, at least much nicer than the plate ones IMO.
HTH

You are correct it is a platygyrain and uses feeder tentacles to feed. So the mucus is temp and will not cause water issues?
Thanks hcuellart

Very Timely, I was looking at one of these today and doing my research. Sprungs book rates them a 7 for aggressiveness. Does anyone know how they are aggressive and what is a safe distance to place them from other corals?

TIA,

They do rate them as aggressive, but I have never seen any aggressive behavior in my Platygyras yet. But a good rule I always apply is to keep at least 4-5" between any coral, this has worked perfectly for me. I do remember reading somewhere that the the Platys' tentacles are about 3" long, but don't take my word for that...

Back
Top Bottom