Branching frogspawn -confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noturaveragereefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I got a branching frogspawn (2 heads) from an online store...one never fully recovered from shipping cause it died and basically disappeared over night the other I did a coral dip on and it was beautiful and perfectly happy the next day...so Monday I saw my dreaded damsel with what looked like red streaks around his mouth...and my frogspawn was retracted....I assume the damsel was picking at it, and was burned...well needless to say my frogspawn never opened up again and today it was nothing there...no green tentacles no nothing just a clean skeleton...what gives? Parameters are all good except phosphates are around 0.5-1...I've never been able to get them under that. I do weekly or biweekly water changes.

I suspect the damsel was cleaning up a already dying coral head. That coral prefers a lower organic level than 1ppm. Should be under .1ppm. Might investigate GFO use. Also prefers moderate lighting. I grow mine under about 200 PAR.

Lighting doesn't seem to be an issue as I have t5's I haven't crossed over to the LEDs yet. All other corals are doing well, my other frogspawn and hammer as well...I'll look into it though. I just can't seem to get it under 1ppm

Lighting doesn't seem to be an issue as I have t5's I haven't crossed over to the LEDs yet. All other corals are doing well, my other frogspawn and hammer as well...I'll look into it though. I just can't seem to get it under 1ppm

Nothing probably wrong with your lighting, they seem to stay more compact when in brighter light. It is difficult, if feeding fish, to get phosphates as low as harder corals require. Water changes with good ro/di water is where you start, but sometimes it takes GFO or Purigen to knock phosphates down. Also, many test kits get unreliable when testing at the lowest ranges.

Back
Top Bottom