Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2004, 08:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

lando i was talking about the pc's. got myself two moonlight leds. i will drill them into my fixture, custom. do you have the feet on your light fixture?

phases99 right on man! 8)

captivereefs great to know that, i have no complaints either. Just saw some different prices on the brands mentioned, so i got curious

72 gal bow front. cpr dual bak pak skimmer, 20 gal sump, approx 85lbs LR, 260watt power compact, two moonlight leds, (2)65w actinic, (2)65w 10k, 2 fire shrimp, 47 hermit crabs, 80 snails, peppermint shrimp, yellow tang, flame angel, 2 Oce clownfish, lawnmower blenny, coral beauty angel, lyretail anthias, 3 feather dusters, magnificent anemone, candy coral, yellow cucumber, 2 pulsing xenia, torch coral, mushrooms, condy anemone
SALTY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 08:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes I have the feet on my fixture, I do not have a top on my tank so they keep my light off of the water a bit.

Old 08-21-2004, 08:41 PM   #13

figured that much, i also just added feet to mine. i don't know about open though, sort of scares me.

72 gal bow front. cpr dual bak pak skimmer, 20 gal sump, approx 85lbs LR, 260watt power compact, two moonlight leds, (2)65w actinic, (2)65w 10k, 2 fire shrimp, 47 hermit crabs, 80 snails, peppermint shrimp, yellow tang, flame angel, 2 Oce clownfish, lawnmower blenny, coral beauty angel, lyretail anthias, 3 feather dusters, magnificent anemone, candy coral, yellow cucumber, 2 pulsing xenia, torch coral, mushrooms, condy anemone
Old 08-21-2004, 08:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

What scares you about it? Actually, I was a bit leary at first as well. But I have had no problems in the several months I have been doing it. There is an amazing difference in my corals. They are much more full and healthy looking. A glass top accumulates salt creep and does not allows for good light penetration. Going "topless" also gives you better gass exchange between the air and the water. There are a lot of people who go to Home Depot and get "egg crate" that is used on ceiling lights to cover their tank and prevent jumpers. take your glass top off for a few days and see if you notice adiffernce in your corals. I do have to say, for Coralife making such a great fixture, the legs are kind of crap.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:28 PM   #15

scared of jumpers and water top off increasing. i think i may go the egg crate route. the legs do stink!!!!!

Old 08-22-2004, 12:51 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use the eggcrate and the legs. The legs help to dissipate the extra heat from the lights. I may remove the legs during the winter months to cut down on heater usage. I need to clean the salt creep off the acrylic light shield every few days. My evaporation rate doubled after I removed the glass top which allowed me to increase my kalk topoffs.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com