brand of pc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SALTY72

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
wondering what brands of pc's are worth the money? jbj, iridius, coralife anyone have success with one in particular?

I use the Coralife 48" 4 x 65 watt and love it. I wish I had a bit more wattage but my shrooms, polyps and softies seem to do thrive under it. I do not have MH, but I leave my tank topless and get good light penetration. Also, Coralife makes moonlights that slide into the track on the back of their fixture. I just got a couple and it looks very nice at night.

lando that is the same light fixture i have. it works great, was curious about other brands of lighting i could put in it

Are you talking about the PC light or moonligh? The PC is a decent value. The moon lights are not. They are way over-priced for a one watt LED light, but honestly, they look really cool. It casts a blue shimmer over the tank much diferent then an actinic bulb. It is not a neccessity, but great for a Christmas list or if you have extra money. I am glad I got them. I have two for my 72 gal. BF.

Salty72...sounds like we have the same size tank. I to have often wondered what else I could put with it. It does seem a bit wide for anything else to go up top. Seriously, check out Coralife's moonlight. I tis called the Blue-Moon-Glow LED.

Coirallife makes an awesome product. I have had little problems with returns do to low quality. Even if you do have a problem they will take care of it ASAP!

lando i was talking about the pc's. got myself two moonlight leds. i will drill them into my fixture, custom. do you have the feet on your light fixture?

phases99 right on man! 8)

captivereefs great to know that, i have no complaints either. Just saw some different prices on the brands mentioned, so i got curious :?

Yes I have the feet on my fixture, I do not have a top on my tank so they keep my light off of the water a bit.

figured that much, i also just added feet to mine. i don't know about open though, sort of scares me.

What scares you about it? Actually, I was a bit leary at first as well. But I have had no problems in the several months I have been doing it. There is an amazing difference in my corals. They are much more full and healthy looking. A glass top accumulates salt creep and does not allows for good light penetration. Going "topless" also gives you better gass exchange between the air and the water. There are a lot of people who go to Home Depot and get "egg crate" that is used on ceiling lights to cover their tank and prevent jumpers. take your glass top off for a few days and see if you notice adiffernce in your corals. I do have to say, for Coralife making such a great fixture, the legs are kind of crap.

scared of jumpers and water top off increasing. i think i may go the egg crate route. the legs do stink!!!!! :roll:

I use the eggcrate and the legs. The legs help to dissipate the extra heat from the lights. I may remove the legs during the winter months to cut down on heater usage. I need to clean the salt creep off the acrylic light shield every few days. My evaporation rate doubled after I removed the glass top which allowed me to increase my kalk topoffs.

Back
Top Bottom