Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist

Anything I should be doing during this cycling process. I have not added any chemicals as of yet or checked individual levels, etc. I am going to order the media basket once I get a recommendation from Convict on supplies I need. Thanks everyone.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brauny View Post
Anything I should be doing during this cycling process. I have not added any chemicals as of yet or checked individual levels, etc. I am going to order the media basket once I get a recommendation from Convict on supplies I need. Thanks everyone.
Get your API saltwater test kit. You start adding flake fish food or drop a raw shrimp in a media bag and toss it in the tank. No chemicals needed. You can go ahead and get that nano power head the 425.

If money wasn't an issue I'd say the Vortech MP10!! That is killer. I run one on my tank and love it. I'm actually putting one on my freshwater(75g African cichlid tank)

But your going to need a source of ammonia. Raw shrimp will work. Take your time. Nice and slow.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok great, appreciate the advice. Set on 5 gallon water changes, I have that set on TO DO list. Lighting doesn't matter until cycle process is over correct? Is so I got that down pat. Can you send me that email of things to purchase from Amazon and/or InTank. Want to get that ordered today Thanks bud.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok great, appreciate the advice. Set on 5 gallon water changes, I have that set on TO DO list. Lighting doesn't matter until cycle process is over correct? Is so I got that down pat. Can you send me that email of things to purchase from Amazon and/or InTank. Want to get that ordered today Thanks bud.
Yes I'll get that out to you today. And yes. Lights aren't needed during your cycle.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh 5 Gallon water changes AFTER cycle process correct? Not now.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Oh 5 Gallon water changes AFTER cycle process correct? Not now.
Correct. After not now. Now... Just sit back and test your parameters. NitrAtes, nitrites, ammonia, pH, etc etc etc.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

Raw Shrimp in Media Bag, explain? gosh I hate being an annoyance, but want to learn and get on my way to having a beautiful tank like you guys have.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah won't add fish or anything until I am 100% certain all is set and I know what is going on, LOL
Old 02-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Raw Shrimp in Media Bag, explain? gosh I hate being an annoyance, but want to learn and get on my way to having a beautiful tank like you guys have.
No problem. Ask questions to learn then you can help someone else out one day. That's what this forum is about. Helping others.

Get a raw shrimp. Like a shrimp cocktail. Get a media bag.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...1&pcatid=13961

Put the shrimp in it and toss it in your tank. Let it decay and give off ammonia etc. that will help start your cycle. That along with your live rock die off.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would def check the water perimeters and if there somewhat decent I cycled my tank with the clown that i still have(they can deal with bad water parameters ,I know a lot of people go with damsels the problem with those,,there are extremely territorial and will kill other (more expensive)fish.

Tags
29 gallon, bio, biocube, cube, gallon, reef, reef tank, sw reef, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com