Breeding Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_fish_man

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have recently fell in love with a snowflake clownfish but there so expensive! Talking like a couple hundred dollars. But because they are so expensive i am going to breed them to get something off of them. And I will be starting to breed in about March. And for the juvenile clownfish I have a 10 gallon no filter just saltwater and light so I was wondering if to full grown snowflake clownfish can fit in a 10 gallon when they are laying the eggs and keep them in there for a couple months protecting the eggs. For this part I would have a filter but in another 10 gallon would be where there is no filter for the juveniles. I know the basics for keeping the juveniles alive but not how to get the clownfish to breed and how to tell if it is male or female. But I still need a lot to know about keeping the juveniles alive till they are ready to sell. Any LINKS would be helpful. And if anybody in Colorado is willing to sell them for me and you keep like 75% of the profit or if anybody knows any stores that will take them and do the profit thing. But REMEMBER THEY WON'T BE READY TILL NEXT APRIL OR SO! I just know that I have a lot to learn before I start breeding. I will be upgrading my main tank this Christmas My little one is to full. And with the 10 gallon where the parents lay the eggs should I put a pot in there for the eggs and a piece of LR with a anemone on it?
Thanks for all help in Advance.
(If anybody wants a pic of a snowflake clown I can put one up or you can look it up on google)

First, I would think that two clown in a 10 would be almost too much. Second, unless you buy a breeding pair, I have heard they take about 5 years to breed. As far as sexing, the female will be larger and the male smaller. But they will start out the same size. Then they will assume the size. There is no guarantee they will breed. I have known people that have tried for ten years and the parents keep eating the babies. Not as easy as you might think.

Oh I knw it will be no easy task. And I know a local dealer that usually has pairs of snowflakes that have bred.

I would go with a 29g-40g tank for breeding clowns. Get the book "Clownfishes" by Joyce D. Wilkerson. It has all the information you will need to breed and raise clowns. You are going to find that you will need several tanks as you do this. You will need a steady supply of rotifers along with phyto.

BTW, mated clowns will typically lay eggs every 12-14 days. The eggs will hatch around day 13 as soon as your lights go out.

I hate to be the one to burst your bubble but breeding clownfish is usually not profitable for the first couple years you are doing it. It will be easier to make money off the snowflakes because they go for so much. You should be warned that it will take a good chunk of money as an upfront cost to get a breeding operation going. Unless you have seen the pair of snowflakes you intend to buy already paired and laying eggs I would reconsider trying this for profit.

On the flip side, If you start a breeding operation i would love to see a thread about it watching your progress. I really would like to be able to start one myself but the time, money, and space is just not an option right now. Another good book that is not clownfish specific but still has a lot of good information is

The Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes by Matthew L. Wittenrich

Also you should check out this forum

Marine Ornamental Fish & Invert Breeders Association • Index page

You will be able to find several other clown breeding logs and threads.

Thanx ziggy Ya thinking of getting a 20 gallon 32 gallon and 10 gallon for them instead.
And pat are you thinking i am breeding perculas?
If so I am not i am actually breeding snowflake
I know a friend that usaly has breeded snowflakes for sale

The snowflakes will be easier to make a profit. I was just trying to point out that there will be a good chuck of money you have to put down to get your breeding operation started. If you have a way of getting a breeding pair of snowflakes then you already have half the battle won.

Thanks for the books everyone.. now just need to decide which one to get.
And dose anyone no any place that sells rotifers? I can't find anyone

Check with Florida Aqua Farms. They sell all kinds of stuff, including phyto cultures.

FYI - Snowflake Clowns are A. Ocellaris

Ya i know if i breed some ocellaris after a couple hundred juvenils i might get a snowflake

Back
Top Bottom