Breeding clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikewest

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello after reading the marine aquariust handbook I would like to start a summer project/job I was thinking about breeding clownfish/ flame angles. My understanding is that clowns aren't that hard to breed and was wondering how much of a revenue one could make with a small production garage facility? And is it a good idea?

It's not as easy as buying 2 clowns, throwing them in a tank and having them breed. You need an established pair to begin with and very few places, if any, sell breeding pairs. So if you buy 2 clowns, maybe in a year or so they might lay eggs. Then you have to grow rotifers for the fry to eat. It takes a lot of time and dedication to raise the fry. In a few months the fry will be big enough to sell, but then of course you need some place to sell them. Do you have a LFS that will buy them from you? If you are lucky enough to raise 50 fry, what will you do with them?

As far as flame angels, I never heard of them being successfully bred in a home aquarium.
Media Review: Flame Angel Aquaculture — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog
"I have reported before on the Waikiki Aquarium's announcement of its success in breeding and rearing the endemic Hawaiian Masked Angelfish, Genicanthus personatus, on Oceanic Institute's success in spawning the Flame Angelfish, Centropyge loriculus as well as Dr. Malia Chow's rearing of Fisher's Angelfish, Centropyge fisheri at the Hawai'i Institute of Marine Biology. None of these efforts, however, are currently ongoing nor have they led to the successful rearing of commercial numbers of these fishes or to their availability to aquarists."

Back
Top Bottom