Breeding clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jumbaaa

Aquarium Advice Regular
O I have been thinking of breeding some clownfish lately. I have a couple questions though. A friend of mine is saying a ten gallon is big enough to breed a pair (seems a little small). I was thinking in my 29 gallon that I rocks and a cuc in right now. How would be the best way to get some clowns to breed?
What would be the most successful ways?

Do you already have a mated pair? If not, very few places, if any actually sell mated pairs. So, 1st you have to buy 2 clowns and hope after a year or so they become a pair and a few months later they will start to breed. Once they start breeding the hard part starts...which is raising the fry. When they hatch, they need to be put in a seperate tank and fed live rotifers. After 6 months or so they will probably be big enough to sell. Do you have a place that will buy the fry?
If you already have a mated, breeding pair, a 10g tank is big enough for them, plus you need another tank for the fry.

ccCapt said:
Do you already have a mated pair? If not, very few places, if any actually sell mated pairs. So, 1st you have to buy 2 clowns and hope after a year or so they become a pair and a few months later they will start to breed. Once they start breeding the hard part starts...which is raising the fry. When they hatch, they need to be put in a seperate tank and fed live rotifers. After 6 months or so they will probably be big enough to sell. Do you have a place that will buy the fry?
If you already have a mated, breeding pair, a 10g tank is big enough for them, plus you need another tank for the fry.

I have a pair but they never lay eggs

ccCapt said:
A pair is 2 clowns. A mated pair is 2 clowns that breed. ;)

I guess i need to play them more barry white. They act like they are going to spawn but never have

If they are a mating pair then maybe some live zooplankton (rotifers) or baby brine shrimp may help spur them on as this is what the fry eat

Ok. So if I add 3 or of 4 to my 30 gallon. And let them mingle. With time is there a chance I get a mated pair? I have a shop that said they would buy them at a good price and i figured I could use it to pay for my addiction I mean hobby

If you are looking to do this for profit, your should probably look at something else. When you factor in the cost of a whole new a setup just for the fry and the cost associated with trying to raise the fry, you might break out even.

Back
Top Bottom