Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2012, 12:44 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

The difficulty is going to be that a lot( but not all) of your BB is on the gravel. You would need to remove half from one side of tank, add sand to that side, then wait a week or two and then remove the other half and replace with sand. When you add sand, take a cup full and put cup all way down to the bottom before pouring it out and turn off any powerheads you have going during this. That should hopefully cut down in the cloudiness. For a 30g, you could get 2 10# bags of live sand and you would be fine since clowns don't dig in the sand. I think live sand is about $10-14 for 10# at Petco. I only suggest the 2 separate bags to make it easier for you- you could always get one 20# bag and separate it, but keep it in a bucket of sw and keep wet cuz once the bag is opened, you'll have evaporation. When you clean your filters, just make sure you don't replace any material during this same time. That would probably be too much BB lost at once. Good luck!!

Old 10-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would remove the filter pads entirely. Unless cleaned daily to every other day they actually speed up the break down of the particles they catch.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Why not just take it out and make it a bare-bottom tank?? Clowns don't need substrate to breed.....
Old 10-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know you said you are not using RODI due to a funding issue. That leads me to believe you are using tap water. If that's the case, have you checked the nitrates from the tap. You may actually be adding to the issue with the water changes if so.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag View Post
I know you said you are not using RODI due to a funding issue. That leads me to believe you are using tap water. If that's the case, have you checked the nitrates from the tap. You may actually be adding to the issue with the water changes if so.
I was partially thinking the same thing. In the OP, they show a 25% drop in nitrates with a 33% water change, so there is likely some in the tap water. But, with the nitrates as high as they have, and showing a considerable reduction with pwc's, it's more tank issue than water issue. It just means they'll never be able to get to 0, but with a FOWLR, 0 isn't necessary..... they just need to get the rapid growth under control.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

If we removed the gravel entirely, would that cause any problems with the tank? I know there’s bacteria and stuff in there we need.

I think we’ve checked the nitrates from the tap before and it was like 0-5.

As far as breeding goes, does anyone know if the male continues to twitch after they’ve become a “mated pair”? Our male still twitches… A LOT!

We’ve been trying to get them to spawn for about 8 months now but we are not having any success. Is there anything we can do to speed up the process?
26 Gallon Bowfront. Clownfish. Six-line wrasse. Coral Beauty. 2 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 2 Emerald Crab. CUC. || 36 Gallon Bowfront. Snowflake Clownfish. Six-line. Watchman Goby. Harptail Blenny. 4 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 4 Emerald Crabs. CUC. || 29 Gallon. Pair of Snow Onyx Clownfish. Watchman Goby. Pistol Shrimp. Small CUC.
sstanle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It depends on how much rock you have in there. If you are following the lbs per gallon concept, then you wouldn't need the substrate at all.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Put on some Barry White at night! That should speed up the breeding process.. Also I would look around at your LFS for RODI water mine charges me .25 a gallon all you'll need is a couple of buckets from home Depo and you'll be good to go. If its a cost thing cut somewhere else but who wants to breath contaminated air?
Old 10-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Feeding twice a day? Bad even if they are eating all the food they are still pooping more. Those nutrients are magically disappearing. Think of it as a diet calories in - Calories used = ? Excess calories weight gain. More used then eaten weight loss. The nitrates will feed on the extra food you put in whether its in form of flakes or poop. Also what r u feeding?
Old 10-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #20
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I only feed my fish twice a week. There isn't a need to feed twice a day. Since you have an autofeeder, your food is probably flake or pellet. All of this food is prob just rotting in your gravel bed and causing the nitrates. Kill the autofeeder and lessen feeding. Manually remove any algae you can and siphon the gravelbed.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breed, breeding, clown, clownfish, nitrate, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com