Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-26-2014, 06:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I tried breeding my own pods in a 10g but did not do very well at all.

The best advice, from a former mandarin owner is to wait until you have enough pods naturally before getting one. I alson would strongly suggest an ORA mandarin, as they have been eating pellets so it has a better shot at taking frozen food in my experience.

Keeping another whole tank that needs special food so that you can feed another tank with a special needs fish just seems like a huge hassle and you still have to produce enough pods for the mandarin, who as mentioned above can decimate thousands at a sitting.

180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Buy a 125 reef ready, toss in 150 pounds of uncured live rock, let it cycle and run the tank for a year with no pod eating fish in it, then you can have a mandarin long term. Piece of cake!

mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award
Breeding Copepods!

Special needs fish... I like that. Liveaquaria should adopt that description.

That means most wrasses and a bunch of other fish are not allowed. It can be done. But you need to be careful because one single wrasse can out compete a mandarin easily. And if the pod population takes a nose dive, so will the Mandarine. They will eat more than live pods, they will eat live baby brine shrimp and live worms. The DIY feeder Paul B came up with (another forum) is on the internet and YouTube. It is far easier to grow baby brine and worms than it is pods. Yes, I know the baby brine hasn't a lot of nutrition in them, but they will gorge themselves on them. The same guy has pictures of his Mandarines spawning. If I ever get another Mandarine, I will try his methods. The pod farm didn't work out and I hate losing a fish.

Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

breed, breeding, copepod, copepods, pods

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com