Breeding mandarins!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mannydouhnut

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a breeding pair of target mandarins they spawn almost every night I then remove the eggs and get them into a rotifer culture the larvae will live usually until the 72 hour mark and then they all die I understand most people that most people will barely reach the 24 hour post hatch mark I must be lucky. Anyway does anyone know what's causing this cause it starting to get annoying. And if you do let me know how to fix it please have decency I am only fourteen and do my best on my tight budget stay down to earth as I can't afford anything to high tech

P.s. I have the pair in a 40 breeder feeding on pe mysis frozen brine shrimp nutramar ova and even .5 mm new life spectrum slow sinking pellets if you want to know how just let me know

Hmm from my ubderstanding the first feeding should be 2-4 days post spawn. The eggs hatch after about 12-16 hours, but they hatch with no mouth or eyes (they have a yolk sac). Only on day three are the actually able to feed. Perhaps you adding the rotifers early? Also the eggs can be damaged due to high temps, strong currents, etc. no strong aeration should be provided , rather some sort of stirring mechanism or such.
it has been suggested that the mandarins do well on Copepod nauplii.
Good luck!!

This is amazing.... If you can sucessfully breed them im sure you will have a good chance of getting the fry on frozen because their parents are on it... That could change mandatins forever! :eek: i know ORA mandarins are supposed to eat frozen, but i hear thats not always how it works. Good luck and if it works i want one :) lol

I got my wild caught pair on frozen foods it's actually quite simple and from there I got them on new life spectrum pellet food

Im sure everyone would love to know how you did it soo easily! I would pm you, but i bet everyone would like to know ;)

And I hatch mine in green rotifers because I used to start feeding day 2 and you could tell they were stressed and then they would go belly up less than two hours post feed it been proven that's easier for fish larvae to see in green water and it's also been proven to reduce stress and I have about a 20% better hatch rate in green water so yea I don't think that's it but thanks for the feedback

Ok nu nu the first step is to catch the mandarin(s) put them in a floating or suction cup on isolation tank. Step 2 feed live pods these can be purchased online or you can take piece of macroalgae out of your sump and let them feed on that for 1 to 2 days so that way the can get comfortable in the little isolation tank swap the algae out whenever you can. Then start feeding live brine shrimp simply take a syringe or what ever you've got and take the brine shrimp out of the hatchery or bag if you got them from your Lfs and put them into the isolation tank with the mandarin(s). Wait until they start taking them this should take 10 mins or less wait until you actually see them get eaten then come back at least 6 hours later and feed live brine shrimp mixed with frozen brine shrimp to the mandarin(s) feed them this at feeding time for the next 2 days or until they eat the frozen ones just as much live ones. Then start feeding only frozen brine shrimp if they won't eat keep on mixing the frozen with the live ones until you've had success!!! If you want to get them to go for pellets then go get yourself some nutramar ova (frozen prawn eggs) and some .5 mm slow sinking pellets made by new life spectrum or even there fry food if the .5 mm looks to big for your mandarin first only feed the ova they should go for it they friggin love that stuff. After two days of that start feeding the ova mixed with the spectrum and slowly take ova out of the mixture and add more spectrum until they are taking the spectrum very well wean them off the ova over the course of a week I found that mandarins on spectrum are very bright compared to ones on frozen foods. Still feed the mandarins frozen foods once a week at least. I trained my friends blue mandarin to eat spectrum and it's been living in an 8 gallon for 2 years now. This is how I trained my mandarins and they are always fat and happy!

I want some pics!

I have a scooter blenny in my 7gallon that eats frozen, guess I got lucky since I didn't have to train him.

Mannydouhnut said:
Ok nu nu the first step is to catch the mandarin(s) put them in a floating or suction cup on isolation tank. Step 2 feed live pods these can be purchased online or you can take piece of macroalgae out of your sump and let them feed on that for 1 to 2 days so that way the can get comfortable in the little isolation tank swap the algae out whenever you can. Then start feeding live brine shrimp simply take a syringe or what ever you've got and take the brine shrimp out of the hatchery or bag if you got them from your Lfs and put them into the isolation tank with the mandarin(s). Wait until they start taking them this should take 10 mins or less wait until you actually see them get eaten then come back at least 6 hours later and feed live brine shrimp mixed with frozen brine shrimp to the mandarin(s) feed them this at feeding time for the next 2 days or until they eat the frozen ones just as much live ones. Then start feeding only frozen brine shrimp if they won't eat keep on mixing the frozen with the live ones until you've had success!!! If you want to get them to go for pellets then go get yourself some nutramar ova (frozen prawn eggs) and some .5 mm slow sinking pellets made by new life spectrum or even there fry food if the .5 mm looks to big for your mandarin first only feed the ova they should go for it they friggin love that stuff. After two days of that start feeding the ova mixed with the spectrum and slowly take ova out of the mixture and add more spectrum until they are taking the spectrum very well wean them off the ova over the course of a week I found that mandarins on spectrum are very bright compared to ones on frozen foods. Still feed the mandarins frozen foods once a week at least. I trained my friends blue mandarin to eat spectrum and it's been living in an 8 gallon for 2 years now. This is how I trained my mandarins and they are always fat and happy!

Do you keep the mandarin in the small breeder for the entire duration of the training (4-5 days if I'm counting right)?

Yes you do so I keep a piece of well stocked chatoe clump in there whenever I'm not feeding and remove it one hour before feeding

Back
Top Bottom