Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Careful about siphoning them, when they are that young you can do some damage. There are some simple designs made out of PVC or acrylic that trap them. They are attracted to light so the designs draw them in and then they can't get out.

I would see if you can trade the tang for something else you are going to need soon. He will have plenty of space in the fuge but no room to swim and grow. You can add another tang when you are done stocking your tank and it will be less aggressive.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my mated pair of O. clowns lays eggs about every 2 or 3 weeks. they defend that area of the tank incredibly when she lays. I don't know what to do after that. one day....eggs everywhere.....next day nothing. I actually have eggs now....but they will be gone tomorrow or the next day. i have never seen 1 fry.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Daniel get a piece of ceramic tile and set it around where they have been laying, bottom side up. For some reason they really like tiles, and will hopefully put their eggs on it. You can then let the parents take care of the tile for a week or so until the eggs develop some more, then move it to a separate, and safer tank for hatching, and growing.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 08-27-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I have a mated pair of Clarkii's who have been laying eggs every 2-3 weeks for about 5 yrs now. The male guards the eggs for about a week or so and they hatch at night. The eggs start out orange and turn silver as the fry mature. After seeing alot of batches, it's pretty easy to tell when they are going to hatch. When they do hatch, the fish in my tank get a good nutritious meal.

Raising clownfish fry is A TON of work. I suggest you do alot of research and see how involved it is. Then try find a place that will buy them from you. Fancy, high dollar fish and/or hybrids would be alot easier to sell than any commonly seen clown.
You can get some good basic info here.
Breed Clownfish | Saltwater Fish Breeding
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
I have a mated pair of Clarkii's who have been laying eggs every 2-3 weeks for about 5 yrs now. The male guards the eggs for about a week or so and they hatch at night. The eggs start out orange and turn silver as the fry mature. After seeing alot of batches, it's pretty easy to tell when they are going to hatch. When they do hatch, the fish in my tank get a good nutritious meal.

Raising clownfish fry is A TON of work. I suggest you do alot of research and see how involved it is. Then try find a place that will buy them from you. Fancy, high dollar fish and/or hybrids would be alot easier to sell than any commonly seen clown.
You can get some good basic info here.
Breed Clownfish | Saltwater Fish Breeding
Have you ever tried to raise the eggs? I have never actually done it, but it seems with the correct setup and preparedness, clowns are pretty easy. They only need rots for the first week or so, an amount you can buy without really having to worry about setting up a culture. Ofter that I have seen really good feedback and results from the otohime program, which is simple pellet feed.

Obviously feeding the fry several times a day and making sure you siphon the container afterward is a fair amount of work, but nothing really extensive or time consuming.

Not trying to argue with what you are saying, just looking for some feedback if you have tried, I'm just going off everything that I have read.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 08-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #16
SW 20 & Over Club

No, I've never attempted to raise them. I know 3 people in my reef club who either have raised them or still do. It is A TON of work.

You may have seen these on Live Aquaria Divers Den. Sanjay describes a little of what's involved here.
Manhattan Reefs - The Odd Couple (A. percula "Onyx" X A. ocellaris "Darwin")

Our reef club also sponsors a bunch of saltwater tanks in a local high school. They have a breeding pair. You can check that out here.
Our Fish

Another member breeds clowns and sells them at our local frag swaps. Common percs or false percs can be hard to sell since they are available anywhere.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Dude I would have killed to go to that high school. The first link is blocked at work, I'll have to check it out when I get home.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 08-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Agreed. That is a lot of really nice looking tanks. Do they keep them as part of a biology class or is it like an after school club or something?
Old 08-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #19
SW 20 & Over Club

The tanks in the high school are mainly looked after by the chemistry teacher and his wife. They do have the kids involved with the tanks, but I'm not sure if it's a school club thing or how they pick the kids who are involved.

Tags
breed, breeding, clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com