Brents 150 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
haven't done much for the tank lately as I haven't been home much but I'm thinking having everything ready to go for when I can start working on it would be best, base rock has been delivered and I will start some rock work when I get home Tuesday

Quick question for everyone is there a such thing as too big of a skimmer? The reason I ask is I really want that to be ready and brs is out of the 170 diablo so I was thinking of just jumping up to the DCS200 which is rated for 300 gallons which is twice my display tank size

The price doesn't really bother me I just don't wanna end up with something I can't use

I believe you can never skim too much :) most folks say get a skimmer rated for twice your water volume anyway. You could even stock a little heavier with it.

Well the progress has finally resumed, only to be slowed down again. The overflow and back of tank has been drilled and installed, I decided to switch the back to black as I didn't really like the blue color, rock is waiting and water is just about ready to go in. Unfortunately I was so wrapped up in this I completely forgot my parents were coming into town to see the new house lol so I quick shoved everything into the room and frantically cleaned the yard and house. On the plus side the silicone will definately have enough cure time!

Got the rock in the tank, good enough for now I don't really like it but it was good enough to keep me happy for now

Here is a teaser

Attachments

• image-3268244114.jpg
    image-3268244114.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 181
I think your design looks good, but I like to do this style to give it a more full feel.

Attachments

• image-3941957357.jpg
    image-3941957357.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 175
Im following along, especially because we share the same first name lol. (had to do a double-read when i saw the title). Id rework the rock so that the height varies throughout the tank. Having it all roughly max out at the same height doesnt give it the random natural look

Thanks for following! I am set up to plumb the overflow tonight, and get some water started in there, I was wondering what a good return pump for my system would be, I will have a 1" full siphon drain with a ball valve on it with two backup drains

really depends on your setup. i am running a danner mag18 for my return pump. what id usually suggest is to aim for your target flowrate (based on what type of tank you want to have) then subtract the flowrate from the powerheads. for instance, im at 3750gph with my 2 powerheads, add in roughly 1500gph from my return pump and im at 5250gph, or roughly 42x turnover...so my flowrate now will support sps and any corals i could want to house.

So for a 150 gallon tank would I want closer to 5x or 10x the turnover from my pump alone, I plan on getting power heads in the future but until I get corals I don't wanna spend too much cash as most fish will get by with my maxi jets that I currently have laying around

Lots got done this weekend so far! I got the tank plumbed, rock re worked to my liking as of now, and rodi water getting put in my heaters are heating the tank as it fills and I will be mixing salt and putting in sand tonight! Super excited

Thanks! I think I finnaly got it the way I wanted, I put the pink Fiji live sand in tonight and my tank is impossible to see through so hopefully that clears up by the morning

Hey guys, I was just wondering how long it usually takes before the cloudy mess goes away? I put the new sand and water in about 24 hours ago

Attachments

• image-626163646.jpg
    image-626163646.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 137
Woke up this morning to clear water! Great news there, but although now that I am able to see, I notice that in the back behind the rocks there is no sand, does snyone have any tricks to help me get sand back there with out taking all of my rock out? I really like it the way it is

Back
Top Bottom