Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
That looks great, but remember, once the tank is a bit older, the back wall should be covered in coralline algae and maybe coral. IMO that's what looks natural.
Yea but you gotta admit. These guys that have a black background and a tankful of awesome corals looks pretty sick with no coraline on the back glass. Probably a pain in the arse though.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit View Post
Yea but you gotta admit. These guys that have a black background and a tankful of awesome corals looks pretty sick with no coraline on the back glass. Probably a pain in the arse though.
not even sure how you could pull that off!

Old 10-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well unfortunately my hopes of a cheep overflow have been destroyed for the height I needed It almost took up the entire top of the tank so ill just have to buy some acrylic to make one the right dimensions
Old 10-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea I wish I would have drilled my 150. But the girlfriend didn't like the chance of it getting messed up. Went with a hob instead
Old 10-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well today was not a good day for me, I was intending on getting a lot done but I started off with the PVC not working (which I wasn't sure it was going to anyways) but still disheartening in itself

So after I found that out I called up a local glass shop and ordered two pieces of glass, one at 3.75" by 71.75" and another at 6" by 71.75" and after they said it would be 60$ I decided that seems expensive but at least I would be able to get my holes drilled and overflow box installed so that I could work on plumbing tomorrow night. Well they called me about 2 hours ago and said that it was ready to pick up so I went and got it and paid for it (it looked good at the shop) but when I got home with it and tried to put it together you could tell that the cut was not straight, I had a large gap in the middle if it was flipped one way and if I flipped it the other way the gaps were on the sides (not sure how this could possibly happen when cutting glass) so I called the shop and they refused to give me my money back since they cut it to my dimensions and I approved them when I left the shop

So basicly I have gotten nothing done and have 60$ Of worthless glass sitting in my shed now
Old 10-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

If their glass cut was bowed and not straight, it's their fault. If you gave them wrong dimensions, your just made a mistake and thankfully it wasn't like a cracked tank. $$$
Old 10-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

They cut it bowed but since I approved the dimensions and took it home they said they couldn't refund my money. I guess ill just chalk it up to getting too excited and not thougholy checking things. Hopefully the piece I get next weekend will work out better and ill able to finnaly get water in
Old 10-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Too bad. Lay it on the counter next time to be sure it's straight. I've had glass cutters do this to me as well. Make sure they know it has to have a square edge on it for aquarium use. Our local glass company cuts a lot of aquarium glass.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am tossing around the idea of making it only 30" long rather than the full 6 feet of my tank, I know for sure that I would need it to be on the left side of my tank due to where my sump is located behind the wall,

If I were to only go half of the tank rather than the full length would I still get my flow rates I need and would it look weird having it like that?
Old 10-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

The reason for 30 inches is because that I could make the glass I have work with a few cuts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com